You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating 3d ribbons in Publisher

Trying to follow this tutorial to create a ribbon around an object (basically create two curves and close them in a strip), I got a problem: as soon I try to use the Close action so to close the curves and create the strip, instead of creating a straight line from on end to the other, always create some strange path extending up or down.

I suppose it's some settings in the pen tool, but can't find which one, so wanted to ask some advice. Using 1.10.6 release.

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

At min 1:19 Close the curves, applyting this result in this

image.png.f758b864fe165ce802d7314397f77b69.png

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

Your screenshot does not show nodes or handles, so it is hard to judge what exactly was drawn / what we look at indeed.

Just in case: Your text description made me think of issues with the handles when joining/closing two curves, caused by the direction they where dragged when drawn before, for instance:

898690866_curvenodeshandles.thumb.jpg.81f8b43f306acf2b93c6510e96d53a30.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks for the extra information.

Note: The video you are watching uses Designer, not Publisher, and they have different functionalities. It doesn’t matter in this case but it’s worth keeping in mind.

Joining and closing curves can be a ‘finicky’ business and I don’t understand all of the various ‘foibles’ of those functionalities.

As thomaso said above, the direction of each curve matters a lot in most cases.

In this case, once you have joined and closed the curves you can use Geometry Add on the result to remove the ‘extra bits’.
See my attached video.

Note: The result of the YouTube video isn’t very realistic because the shadow is only on one side of the ribbon.

Thanks, trying again seems I need to be very precise in the handles orientation, so that using a grid reference to be sure they are vertical now all works

image.png.5c32e898c1622d14270e6ceccc07c6c6.png

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

44 minutes ago, davide445 said:

to be very precise in the handles orientation, so that using a grid reference to be sure they are vertical

Holding the Shift key while dragging helps to maintain certain directions -> angles: vertical, horizontal or 45º.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

Holding the Shift key while dragging helps to maintain certain directions -> angles: vertical, horizontal or 45º.

We can use the Advanced setting in the Grid and Axis... window to set up additional axes for snapping.

917742526_ScreenShot2023-05-22at7_20_24AM.png.6bffcc94256c6ddd3c7621ccb524db75.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.