You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constraints inside group mess up outlines

I'm trying to create an outlined box with a text box inset inside, and then group the two together. This works fine but when I set up any constraints for the inner text box it appears to visually clip the group at the bounding box, resulting in the outline getting thinner. I have attached a video reproducing this in a brand new document. 

• Staff

Hi @dantaylr,

Unlike regular groups, constraints groups will clip content off that exceeds the area of the bounding box which is defined by the nodes. As such, strokes aligned to the outside/centre exceed the bounding box, and causes the area to get clipped. This is logged with the developers to be improved so that objects inside a constraints group can exceed the bounding box, similar to a standard group. I've bumped the existing Improvement with your report.

9 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @dantaylr,

Unlike regular groups, constraints groups will clip content off that exceeds the area of the bounding box which is defined by the nodes. As such, strokes aligned to the outside/centre exceed the bounding box, and causes the area to get clipped. This is logged with the developers to be improved so that objects inside a constraints group can exceed the bounding box, similar to a standard group. I've bumped the existing Improvement with your report.

Thank you Nathan, I appreciate the explanation and that makes sense. It'd definitely be a great improvement as the behavior is unintuitive from the other side of the fence 😄