You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

High Precision Input Method oddities

When painting quick strokes with my Wacom (Intuos 3) I experience some unwanted straight strokes (as if shift button was pressed in between) and after a few ones the pointer gets stuck on the brush circle and the full interface, except the canvas where I can keep painting, becomes unresponsive. Keyboard shortcuts seem to work. Some times pressing Alt button "revive" the app, otherwise I have to make AP windows inactive some way.

Conditions for this to occur seem to be:

1. There are plenty of layers in the document (or at least the more the easier)
  2. Tablet Input Method is set to High Precision

The problem doesn't occur setting input method to Low Precision and Windows Ink.

Affinity Photo 2.10 (and previous versions) on Windows 10.

38 minutes ago, Return said:

Perhaps trying the other options.
low precision or windows ink.
I seem to recall that windows ink should be set to off in the tablet(wacom) settings.

As I already wrote, Windows Ink and Low Precision are not affected by the issue.

I've always set Wacom preferences according to the Input Method in AP, i.e. Windows Ink must be enabled in Wacom preferences only when it's the chosen input method in AP, otherwise pen pressure won't work.

Windows Ink disengages pen's side buttons, so I don't want to rely on it. I've set AP to Low Precision, but I don't know what's the real deal shifting from High to Low as the help guide is only generic about it.

Nonetheless I just wanted to report an issue.

• Staff

Hi Clau_S,

Could you post your brush or send in a DM if you prefer. If you could provide your document resolution and performance details in preferences too that would be extremely helpful in trying to recreate your issue.

Lee

5 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Clau_S,

Could you post your brush or send in a DM if you prefer. If you could provide your document resolution and performance details in preferences too that would be extremely helpful in trying to recreate your issue.

Lee

Hi LeeThorpe

I made some new tests after your message. I'd say that resolution is not relevant. I usually work on 2500 x 3500px documents. The document in my video was 1990 x 2480px but I reduced it to 650 x 850px (rasterizing all pixel layers immediately after) and the issue was still there.

You'll find my performance settings in the screenshot below, but I need to point out that I've tried with hardware acceleration both on and off. Also my CPU and RAM always run pretty low (CPU never exceeds 23% and RAM is fixed at 23-24%) despite the brush sluggishness (that increases up to the unbearable if all groups are expanded in Layers panel) and the fan spinning faster. The more layers are visible in Layers panel, the more the brush becomes sluggish and the easier it seems to occur to me, but this may be just an impression.

About the brush it was a simple 16px round brush with 99% hardness, 10% spacing and 100% size jitter based on pressure. The last setting may be involved in the issue. With a simple round brush from basic category I only had it occur once (in several attempts) and after many many many strokes, whereas forcing pressure (activating the button next to "More" in the tool bar) 'caused it multiple times.

Performance.jpg.3959fb85df6fad7cea4633c25d655280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...