Oval

inaccuracy of the ruler [AD]

Seems to show a 0.4mm object as being 0.4mm to me. The scale shown on the ruler doesn't always fall on nice round numbers hen zooming in.

Thanks. Here is a shot:

24803659ym.jpg

"Affinity Designer is the … most precise vector graphic design software for Mac available.”

How is the range defined AD works precise?

No rounding but a monster zoom, big sorry! Hm, perhaps an indicator, a cat’s paw or red zoom level could prevent working in the inaccurate area.

Beginners can’t find that claim in Affinity Designer Help. If Affinity Designer "is the most precise vector graphic design software for Mac”, users believe that AD works accurately in all provided zoom levels.

Just compare

24803659ym.jpg

with Canvas Draw:

24813205tf.jpg

Perhaps it would be better to communicate or to withhold the possible dimensions and zoom levels in the Affinity Designer Help.

You didn't answer the question.  What percentage is the zoom?

More than 200000 which has no effect to the inaccuracy of the ruler of AD @ less than max. zoom.

I just checked.  Canvas Draw can zoom to a maximum of 204,800%--without inaccuracies.  Just tried with AD:  was able to zoom in to 204,854,145%, after which point the ruler started displaying inaccuracies.

I'll take Designer!

I'm sure the programmers could also limit the zoom in AD to 204,800%--without inaccuracies.  But that would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

Maybe, like you suggest, there should be a warning that at extraordinarily high zoom levels (i.e., above 200,000,000%!) display inaccuracies can occur.  But I'm doubting that many people will actually zoom in that high. ;)

But I'm doubting that many people will actually zoom in that high.

I'm sure the programmers could also limit the zoom in AD to 204,800%--without inaccuracies.  But that would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

No, for example having small objects or a small page you only need to zoom in two times and snapping is not working acceptable, which is not mentioned in the AD Help.

Very silly idea to limit it to 204800%, but we don’t know in which area the features (snapping, rulers, tools,…) work accurately – the Help is silent.

"Affinity Designer is the … most precise vector graphic design software for Mac available.”

How is the range defined AD works precise?

Again: What is the range AD works precise? In which range – which seems to be not small – we should not work?

If not well documented in the Help, beginners (and the competitors) would be dubious about “most precise vector graphic design software for Mac”.

Oval, for what it is worth, when I set AD's UI preference for mm to 5 decimal places, I get things like this in the transform panel:

post-3524-0-62059100-1457798399_thumb.png

From what I can tell from extreme zoom levels, it is accurate; that is, I can change X, Y, W, or H values in the Transform panel by very small fractional mm amounts & things change by what appears to be that amount in the workspace.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Oval, for what it is worth, when I set AD's UI preference for mm to 5 decimal places, I get things like this in the transform panel …

The transform panel was only shown to demonstrate the faulty ruler. What about the illustrators, that do not work with the transform panel? They wonder why snapping does not work correctly and that something is going wrong with the ruler and the tools. Some change (back) to other software.

I am very confused. Are you talking about something to do with snapping, with an inaccurate ruler display at extreme zoom levels, or something else? Some of the reasons why I'm confused: 

• At sufficiently high zoom levels, the display can't physically be a totally accurate position indicator because it is limited to one screen pixel resolution. Any differences finer than that cannot be displayed because one pixel is the minimum possible display size for anything. Only the transform panel's decimal readout can indicate exact positions, & only to the limits set in the preferences.

• I don't understand what you mean by the "ruler shows that an 0.4 mm object is bigger." Bigger than what? The screen shots only show an edge under the ruler, but without at least one other number showing on the ruler's scale it is impossible for me to tell what each gradation mark represents. If each gradation represents say 0.01 mm & your preferences are set to show only one decimal point resolution in the transform panel, then I do not see how this demonstrates any inaccuracy.

• I don't understand what snapping has to do with this. Are you saying it doesn't work at some zoom levels but does at others? Or maybe that when you zoom in something has not snapped to where you expected it to?

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Are you talking about something to do with snapping, with an inaccurate ruler display at extreme zoom levels, or something else?

Are you saying it doesn't work at some zoom levels but does at others?

The ruler display is only one example for the inaccuracy at a big range of extreme zoom levels. We don’t have the time to report and to stringently prove those facts, but we believe Serif is aware of them.

For example at a range of zoom levels snapping only works horizontally or vertically.

If Serif does not communicate and/or indicate the inaccurate zoom range, users unsuspectingly will generate inaccurate works.

"For example at a range of zoom levels snapping only works horizontally or vertically."

I am not sure what you mean by this. The only way I can get something sort of like that is if I zoom way in so that a document pixel is much larger than the workspace view & I have Force Pixel Alignment & Move By Whole Pixels turned on. Depending on where the view is relative to the pixel boundary, I might have to drag a control point or node a considerable distance beyond the edge of the current workspace before it snaps to the nearest pixel boundary, but that is to be expected.

As for accurate work, it seems to me that setting Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places for Unit Types to the maximum of 6 places should produce more than enough accuracy for any practical need. When I do that for pixels I can resolve positions to 0.000001 of one pixel accuracy. Surely that is enough?

I am not sure what you mean by this. 

FYI: For example objects only snap to the vertical edges, not to horizontal edges at once. That has nothing to do with pixel alignment or what workflow someone prefers.

FYI: For example objects only snap to the vertical edges, not to horizontal edges at once. That has nothing to do with pixel alignment or what workflow someone prefers.

I can't duplicate that behavior on my system. As long as I drag to within the screen tolerance pixel setting, snapping occurs for either vertical or horizontal edges, or for both at the same time. Of course, the appropriate snapping candidates have to be set or it won't work at all, but that is a different issue.

So I'm just lucky & have managed to avoid this bug somehow?  :wacko:

Honestly, I have tried everything I can think of to duplicate that behavior but I can't do it unless I have the wrong snapping candidates selected or I am too far from a snapping point for the snapping tolerance I have set. Sometimes I have wait briefly (like for a second or so) before the snapping indicators appear after I get inside the tolerance range, & that is annoying, but it always works if I wait.

Regardless, as far as I can tell it doesn't have anything to do with ruler inaccuracies or zoom levels.