You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curve adjustements can't be saved

• Staff

Hi @j3rry,

I've been unable to replicate this on my M1 MacBook and my Intel Mac.  Is there any more to this recipe that I could be missing?

I've even set both Macs to German and still couldn't replicate it.  I'll keep trying to replicate it but if you can think of any steps I might be missing, please do let me know :) 

I have lost all adjustment settings due to the reset, curves, selektive colors, split toning, ...., and so on. Because I had to reset the adjustments.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

Oh are you saying that you lost all your settings because you had to do another reset after updating to 2.1 because you were not able to save the presets?

A few of us have tried again this morning to reproduce the issue.

We've tried:

• Running the app/machine in German
  • Attempted to save the same settings over and over 
  • Used the same preset name 
  • Tried different colour formats

Would you be able to do a screen recording of the process. So open the app, open Curves, add your preset and name it, restart the app and show us the missing Curve preset.

53 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Oh are you saying that you lost all your settings because you had to do another reset after updating to 2.1 because you were not able to save the presets?

Yes I lost all settings because of the reset. The reason for the reset was that I could no longer save any settings.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff
1 hour ago, j3rry said:

In the first article is a screen recording.

Of course it is, sorry. I've watched it a dozen times and I cannot spot anything wrong with your process.

Further to my investigation, I've tried:

• Adding 50 presets to see if there was some hidden cap or something
  • Including special characters in the name field
  • Deleted, Renamed and added new presets

We simply cannot reproduce it. I will need to escalate this to the developers to see if they can work out what's happening.

I'm curious about something, @j3rry: When you experience the problem, how big is your adjustments.propcol file? That file would contain all your different adjustment presets, including (for example) your LUT presets, and could perhaps get quite big if you've installed a significant number of LUTs. And when the .propcol files get big enough, they tend to cause performance and other problems.

This FAQ can help you find that file:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell,

Thanks for the question but I think there are no more propcol files in V2. Also the information about the storage path is not purposeful anymore. Something Serif has changed...

12 minutes ago, j3rry said:

Thanks for the question but I think there are no more propcol files in V2.

The propcol files are still there in v2 for sure... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

37 minutes ago, j3rry said:

but not on the place the link from the FAQ shows ...

That looks like the same place the FAQ shows, to me.

Thanks for the screenshot. Your adjustments.propcol is a reasonable size, so should not be the cause of the problem.  I see it is significantly larger in the retail application (1MB) than in the beta (13.6KB), but that still feels reasonable to me. Compare to your beta assets.propcol, for example, which is 3.4 GB.

(I'm surprised you don't have an assets.propcol for the retail version, but I don't know how you generated that listing.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

(I'm surprised you don't have an assets.propcol for the retail version, but I don't know how you generated that listing.)

This is only a part of the list, I have used a search tool for all the propcol files on my iMac.

7 minutes ago, j3rry said:

I have used a search tool for all the propcol files on my iMac.

Macintosh HD > Applications > Affinity Photo 2.1.0.app then right click and select Show Package Contents then Contents > Resources and view the list by Kind (to group the propcol files together), scroll to the bottom to see them...

My adjustments.propcol is 1.9 Mb (by default) having added no adjustment presets or LUT's... :)

23 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Macintosh HD > Applications > Affinity Photo 2.1.0.app then right click and select Show Package Contents then Contents > Resources and view the list by Kind (to group the propcol files together), scroll to the bottom to see them...

My adjustments.propcol is 1.9 Mb (by default) having added no adjustment presets or LUT's... :)

Is the place in Applications not read-only? From my knowledge there are (in Applications > Affinity Photo 2.1.0.app) only the defaults for the settings stored. 

31 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Doesn't that get you the original source for the file, that will be installed into the user area?

In other words, not the actual one that is being used?

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, j3rry said:

Is the place in Applications not read-only?

Not in Monterey but maybe that's changed in Ventura, I'm not entirely sure... You could quickly follow the file path to find out...

@Hangman, Is there not a file path like this one from OS 11.7:

/Users/_YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE_/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/adjustments.propcol

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Doesn't that get you the original source for the file, that will be installed into the user area?

In other words, not the actual one that is being used?

Well, now you're asking... the only other seemingly relevant adjustments.propcol file (based on the modified date) is located here...

/Users/username/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/adjustments.propcol

and is only 23KB in size... @walt.farrell, you'd likely know better than me I think which is the correct one in this instance... :)

40 minutes ago, Hangman said:

and is only 23KB in size... @walt.farrell, you'd likely know better than me I think which is the correct one in this instance... :)

As I'm not a Mac user, I can only go by what the FAQ that I linked to says.

-- Walt
PC: