You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch job exporting RAW to JPEG - pictures are too dark

Welcome to the forum @sixtails

Just tried batch saving a D7100 NEF file and it comes out fine with the same settings you have.

What Operating System are you on, what version of Affinity Photo are you using and what camera does the NEF file come from?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Any chance you can upload a NEF file to test with?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I am seeing the same thing with Canon .CR2 files.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Nope still can't get the dark image, I can get it a smidge darker by changing the settings in Assistant under develop persona so that it doesn't apply any initial settings.

image.png.3a6848fbf3590a33c12e890038ef2792.png

image.thumb.png.18bb11b841535b38b1c0fd3d9ca14122.png

Maybe if you change your settings under develop persona to apply a tone curve the image will improve?

Your Assistant setting is not the default one for my fresh install on a different Mac. However, when I mimic your setting the conversion is a smidge lighter but still dark compared to the original.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 4.16.11 PM.png

DSC_1370.jpg

Edited by sixtails

What happens if you apply a tone curve and an exposure bias?

2 hours ago, sixtails said:

Here is the original:

FWIW, when I try to batch export that file I get an almost completely black JPEG. Same if I batch export it to the afphoto format.

It develops fine if opened into AP & developed there. so it seems to be something to do with batch export function.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

so it seems to be something to do with batch export function

You can instead just say, that it is probably buggy for batch job RAW export conversions!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

You can instead just say, that it is probably buggy for batch job RAW export conversions!

I wonder if it is true for all batch conversions or just ones involving one or more RAW formats....

I don't have enough different RAW files to test with.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I wonder if it is true for all batch conversions or just ones involving one or more RAW formats....

So far the just Nikon and Canon. And whatever R C-R used.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

So far the just Nikon and Canon. And whatever R C-R used.

I tested with the NEF file the OP attached to an earlier post.

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't have enough different RAW files to test with.

Well you can download some test-wise from the net, as for example from DPreview camera review galleries, which usually contain JPG & RAW sample files.

In the pasts "imaging-resource.com" was also a good place for reviewing camera sample RAW files from camera tests. But I think the site sadly also doesn't exist anymore.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi @sixtails,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm that I have been able to replicate this issue here on both Windows and macOS, and it appears to be a regression over version 2.0.4.

Therefore I have logged this as a bug with our development team now to be resolved ASAP.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue.

Once I apply macros in a batch job, the outcome JPEG's are super dark!

If I apply the same macros to one single picture, and then export it, it works fine. But when doing it in a Batch Job for a whole bunch of pictures, they all come out super dark!
How can I fix this?

Using Canon CR2, in a MacAir M2 chip.
It was working fine yesterday!

• Staff

Hi @Cyclops,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

As above this is a known issue currently in the latest release of Affinity Photo, which our team are working to resolve.

In the meantime, you can 'roll back' to a previous version by uninstalling 2.1 from your Applications folder (right-click and select Send to Trash) and then download and install 2.0.4 from the following link - 

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/photo/2/

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

The issue "Batch Processing RAW files creates incredibly dark results, regression over 2.0.4" (REF: AFP-6187) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.1.1.1847".

This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions

If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

16 minutes ago, Serif Info Bot said:

This fix is in the current customer release.

??? Isn't the current customer release still version 2.1.0?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

??? Isn't the current customer release still version 2.1.0?

There are a lot of Info Bot posts giving 2.1.1.something as the "current release", and even one I noticed saying that 2.2 is the current release. Clearly something has gone wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Apologies, the team are aware of the incorrect wording being used here and we're working to fix this - the fixes being applied are in our upcoming version, 2.1.1 :)

Please note -

Many thanks!