You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

units

Somebody asked why he cannot use " for inches … Can we have an overview of the allowed unit abbreviations in fields, please?

And will it be possible to add units? For example if you want to use other typographic units. Please? If not, just add one single variable, please?

10^-6 is possible why not µ and dm?

The standard units are:

px, pix, pixels - pixels
        in, ins, inch, inches - inches

pt , pts, point, points - point

mm - millimetre

cm - centimetre

m - metre
        ft, foot, feet - foot
        yd, yds, yard, yards - yard
        cat, cats - cat

°, ˚, deg,  degs, degree, degrees - degrees

rad, rads, radian, radians - radians

pc, perc, percent - percentage

‰, permille - permille

The standard variables are:

pi Pi, PI ,π - pi

phi, Phi, PHI, gr, GR, φ - the golden ratio
            root2, rad2, rt2 - the square root of 2

The Transform tab supports variables:

x,  y, w, h, r, s,

xposition, yposition, width, height, rotation, shear

The Document properties supports variables:

w, h, l, r, t, b,

spreadwidth, spreadheight, marginleft, marginright, margintop, marginbottom

In the 1.5 beta, the text size controls will support variables:

x, a, c

xheight, ascent, capheight

So "12pt / x" will make the text x-height be 12pt.

We don't plan to allow user-defined units. We did intent to support " and ' for inches and feet, but that doesn't seem to be working in the current release. I'll fix it for 1.5 beta.

Thanks! Great! Please, get it into Affinity Help. Some examples in “Document setup” for “physical measurement units” and a direct link to the “expressions for field input” would be useful for beginners.

Please show some hints for beginners if a field / a panel is in use / being hovered.

Are there more easter eggs besides the cat shape for cat lovers and catchers?

Can you provide a photo of that standard cat, please? That would be great for PR.

BTW: Now finally x, a, c are a real USP which should be retold everywhere very loud!  :wub: 

You meant “12pt = x”?

Dave,

Please explain for us what the unit "cat" is.  cat, cats - cat  I would guess that cats - cat would equal s which is the shear.

I drew a square 2", then put the " *1 cat " after the width in transform and ended up with a dimension about 55.9" long.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

No, not an average cat! Here is the pony:  

1 Affinity cat = 1.666 commonly Adobe pugs @ 25 °C

Dave, you see what three simple characters can cause? Better than any advertising campaign! Tell us the publication date of the behind the scenes video of the R&D cat unit, please.

You meant “12pt = x”?

No; x is the x-height of the current font as a ratio to the font's size. It needs to be dimensionless so you can use 1in or 1cm or whatever. If it were 0.6, for example, then to get 12pt x-height you'd need 20pt text. Which is 12pt / x. That's the expression you type into the pointsize control to yield a value for the text height. Using equality or assignment wouldn't fit in that context.

I considered inverting the ratio, so it would be a number larger than 1 and you would multiply by it rather than divide, "12pt * x", because I thought that syntax might be easier, but currently I don't think the difference between using "/" and "*" is significant and using a fraction of the font's size did seem more natural. I figure are going to learn what to type by rote anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave, you see what three simple characters can cause? Better than any advertising campaign! Tell us the publication date of the behind the scenes video of the R&D cat unit, please.

If you have not already done so download the iBook version of Affinity Review Issue 1 & check out the video on page 86. It doesn't provide any info about the cat unit but it will show you how to find it.  :ph34r:  :lol:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you have not already done so download the iBook version of Affinity Review Issue 1 & check out the video on page 86. It doesn't provide any info about the cat unit but it will show you how to find it.  :ph34r:  :lol:

Thanks, old cats/hats. Just astonished that not everybody was aware of the easter eggs.

I don't know how many units you support, but there will always be somebody who needs its own one (me included). Why is so hard to add this feature?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Thanks, old cats/hats. Just astonished that not everybody was aware of the easter eggs.

I'm not surprised that not everyone has discovered the cat. What astonishes me is there is an Affinity "cat unit" & apparently it is equal to 71 cm, or about 28 inches.

Considering that the Affinity cat looks like some breed of domestic cat (a member of the Felis catus species, if you prefer), the implication is she (?) is a very large kitty!  :lol:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2. April 2016 at 5:00 PM, Petar_MK said:

I don't know how many units you support, but there will always be somebody who needs its own one (me included). Why is so hard to add this feature?

Just six? Some would kill a cat unit to get dd or c or p or q or dog …

Well, a user-defined unit would need some extra user interface to define it, and it would need to be stored in the document, which makes it different to all our existing units. Currently you can change the number of decimal places for units in Preferences, and that would need to be re-thought now the list of units is not fixed. It's all doable, but it takes more time than we'd like.

What other units do you need? Bear in mind that inch-marks and foot-marks were supposed to be including from the beginning, and it's a bug that they don't work. They will work in 1.5.

• Staff

I think we may have missed hands and fathoms...  And parsecs.

All really useful when mocking up websites.   ;)

@Petar_MK  - it's not "hard" - it is just time consuming, so it'll go in the queue with everything else that other people consider more important.  BTW - have you bought Affinity yet?  ;)

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Unlike cat units, which we use all the time.  :lol:

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Unlike cat units, which we use all the time.  :lol:

You'd be surprised how useful it is.  ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

You'd be surprised how useful it is.   ;)

I get the feeling that I'm still missing something about the cat unit or why it is apparently equal to 71 cm.

Anyway, I propose the addition of a potentially very useful unit, that being the dimensionless number 42, for obvious reasons.  B)

Affinity Photo 

@Petar_MK  - it's not "hard" - it is just time consuming, so it'll go in the queue with everything else that other people consider more important.  BTW - have you bought Affinity yet?   ;)

I will buy it when it comes to Windows platform. I don't have Mac.  :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

@Petar_MK  - it's not "hard" - it is just time consuming, so it'll go in the queue with everything else that other people consider more important.  BTW - have you bought Affinity yet?   ;)

Yes, I know that. I also do some programing in PowerBASIC.  :)

• Staff

Power what?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB