You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One mask for multiple adjustment layers

Hi all,

I am no working on AP for a couple of weeks: my compliments to the team. Also my compliments to all who are answering the multiple questions on this forum with patience. This my first question and I hope it make sense.

I have the following question: is it possible to use one mask for multiple (adjustment/live filter) layers. If it is possible then all the layers effects  would be affected directly when I make a change to that mask.

I know one solution: make a copy of the background layer en nest the mask and the layers under the copy (when working with one picture) or use "merge visible" (if the situation is already more complex). These methods are not the best because if you edit the original you will have to recopy the background and move the layers and the mask again under the new copy and delete the old.

The reason I'm asking this is the following: i have got multiple pictures/projects where a want to use the same effects on only a selection of the picture but not always the same selection. A copy/paste of the layers with a empty mask to the top of the original layer(s) and direct masking with the brush would be very convenient. 

I have also looked at exporting and importing LUT, but the disadvantage is that you can not adjust the layers anymore. 

Thanx in advance

Smittie

• Staff

Hi Smittie,

Welcome to the Forums :)

As mentioned in  the post that MBd has provided a link to above this unfortunately isn't currently possible within the app. However I do feel as though this would make a great addition to the app so I have moved this post into the Feature Requests section as our developers tend to monitor it more closely and may consider this for a future update.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I experienced a little bit in AP and I tried the following:

I made a group with two adjustment layers, a gaussian blur filter and a mask (see example). As you can see the black in the mask is hide the three layers. I was very happy. This is what I wanted. 

Then I changed the blur filter for a twirl filter just to see what happens. The mask has no effect on the twirl filter. So is there a difference between the live filters here? :(

Edit: it looks like that the twirl filter is changing the mask, but in case of the blur filter that did not happen. The blur filter was still only applying to the whole background picture.

Edit 2: the live filters must be above the adjustment filters otherwise i will not work

example 2.tiff

example.tiff

I wish AP would have an option to clone/instantiate layers (including layer masks), and recycle these in the layer stack, which means a change to the source (original) mask cascades in realtime throughout the project.

Or have a way to group multiple adjustment layers into one "super" adjustment layer, and one ;ayer mask would affect them all at once.

I really miss these options when I return to Affinity Photo at work (I use Photoline at home, and it has these two options).