You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting Color cast in Shadows and Skin from RAF files exported from Capture One

Perhaps someone can help me, I use Capture One as my RAW processor. I decided to go for the combo CO and Affinity, after ditching PS. 

I have exported RAF (Fuji RaW files) from Capture one and noticed two things, first even with the same color space I get a total different rendition of the color that I have edited in the Raw processor, exporting it as TIFF and uncompressed. Skin tones get reddish and I get some also some cyan colouring when exporting B/W. The colouring is visible in the shadows transitioning.

Can somebody tell me if you are experiencing the same issue? How can this be avoided?

All settings are the same in both SW, screen and camera are correctly calibrated

Thanks for your help,sorry for the crappy example ;)

post-25964-0-69262900-1457087422_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CSP. I work in Prophoto space from CO and export as such into AP where I also have Prophoto. As mentioned in the post my camera and Monitor at calibrated to Adobe RGB (but this is ok as Prophoto has bigger gamut). I export the file converted into B&W from CO but also tried in color and saw the casting. I tried a grayscale option in AP and solved it this way but I am surprised that I have to do this in order to get real grey scale after a raw conversion

to find the error you have to start somewhere  - when you export the image with the camera profile c1 does not performa a color transformation.  next step is to check if your apps see the correct profile.

imho prophoto is not a very good choice to export from c1 anyway because most c1 camera profile are much smaller so you gain nothing btw you use 16bit when you export right ? 

Thanks Lorigan and CSP. 

CSP I have tried with the embedded camera profile and got the same results. 

Lorigan yes I am using that method.(see Attachment)

I have found a solution, but don't know why it gives me the impression that there is something not compatible with B/W conversions into Affinity. Basically there is the option in the menu Document-->Colour Format to choose for Greyscale 16bits. That solves it, but I still find it really weird that the already transformed B/W photo in capture one cannot be used directly in AP (see attachment for menu)

Is anyone from Affinity Photo checking the forums? It would be nice to have some advice from the product provide side

post-25964-0-93598900-1457903025_thumb.png

post-25964-0-98582900-1457903028_thumb.png

I don't know anything about Capture One but if I understand the first screen shot's options correctly, you are exporting using a 16 bit ProPhoto RGB profile, also known as ROMM RGB. As I understand it, that defines an output referred colorimetric RGB color space, which would explain why Affinity doesn't automatically recognize it as being in a greyscale format.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

why do you use prophoto to export an BW image anyway ?  this does not make any sense you better should use  the phaseone grey 22 profile for example  if you still see this kind of banding  it is very likely a monitor calibration issue. 

Hi CSP, because when you convert into Black and white you use the Channel Mixer in order to correct colour rendition on the grey scale. And it is not a monitor issue because as explained the B/W problem presents ONLY in Affinity Photo