You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAWs always to dark

Hi community,

if do I open a RAW with the Windows Photo App than I have do have the file with right exposer on my screen. When do I open the same RAW in Affinity Photo than I have always to dark (about 1.5 step down).

1st question: Why.

2nd: How to fix

I'm working with Windows 10. Questions? Welcome.

1. The Affinity RAW engine (Libraw based) uses as default more neutral plain settings, in contrast to over RAW converter software which most often applies some pre-settings on exposer, brightness & contrast, sharpening ... etc.
  2. Apply some of the under point (1.) named pre-settings & adjustments and then save them as reusable Preset(s) for your cams default RAW adjustment settings, see therfor the online help for ...

- Developing a RAW image
    - Basic Panel (see on that help page below "Settings (or Preferences)" section! <-- ***

Generally take a look through ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, Photodummy said:

Indeed I don't know why Foto App display my RAWs correct but not A.P.

The Windows Photo app may be showing you the JPEG preview, rather than the RAW image itself.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Photodummy said:

In these case no. I open RAW files (CR2). I've got no JPEGs.

I'm suggesting that the CR2 file contains a JPEG preview that the Windows Photo application is displaying. But I don't know for sure.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, Photodummy said:

Even I have turned off the JPG option in my EOS70D?

Yes. That may just control whether it produces a separate image file in JPEG format.

However, I do not know your camera, and do not know for sure what it produces in its RAW files. I also do not know what codecs you may have installed on your system and what effect that might have.

It is also generally true, as @v_kyr indicated, that the Affinity applications will use more neutral settings by default, and this may also mean darker, than other applications.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Photodummy said:

I'm very familiar with EOS 70D, use one, and have since Canon released it. On your camera, go to the First Menu setting, far-left, Image Quality. It allows you to set various RAW, MRAW, SRAW, and JPEG settings of L, M, S1,S2 and S3. The camera will produce a JPEG for all images, even if you are shooting in RAW. Programs like Lightroom, are able to import RAW + JPEG, or either one. The image you see on the camera's screen is the JPEG processed with whatever Camera settings, like Picture Styles (Neutral, Portrait, Lanscape and so on). AP does not recognize those Picture Styles. Further AP provides us with the RAW image, no enhancements, unless in the Develop Assistant, you tell to apply an Exposure Bias, or Tone Curve.

Windows 10 should have the Codec required to view CR2 files. You can go to Microsoft's Website and download their Raw Image Extension. Another way to get the CODEC, is to download and install Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional). How to Download & Install. DPP will place the codec into your system and you should be able to view the files in Windows Explorer.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hi Ron P.,

indeed I've installed the Raw Image Extension. Without it I couldn't open RAWs. So, I've got checked the settings of my camera and RAW is on. A picture is more than 1,000 words:

Bus Foto-App.jpg

These Screenshot is a RAW in the Photo-App.

Bus RAW.jpg

And the same RAW opened direct in AP.

Ok, when it's normal than do I must know it.

22 minutes ago, Photodummy said:

Ok, when it's normal than do I must know it.

What are your Develop Assistant Settings in Affinity Photo?

Edit > Settings, or Ctrl+, (by default) or the Assistant Settings button on the Toolbar. Then (if you're not in the Develop Persona), click on Develop Assistant at the bottom of the dialog. You have settings for Tone Map and Exposure Bias. Have you enabled either of those?

If not, you might try them.

-- Walt
PC:

On 5/21/2023 at 4:15 PM, Photodummy said:

Yes, as an example see this 70D sample RAW file ...

... and what I extracted as an preview JPG out of it via ERawP ...

canon_eos_70d_12.thumb.jpg.b8d99a951e5dfc2614299b1f8428348f.jpg

Further do for APh as I already told above ...

On 5/19/2023 at 9:07 PM, v_kyr said:

Apply some of the under point (1.) named pre-settings & adjustments and then save them as reusable Preset(s) for your cams default RAW adjustment settings, see therfor the online help for ...

- Developing a RAW image
- Basic Panel (see on that help page below "Settings (or Preferences)" section! <-- ***

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

When I open a file in Windows Photo its initially dark then lightens. So Windows Photo is applying some processing. Affinity Photo leaves it up to us. DxO Photolab with no corrections looks similar to Affinity Photo (with no tone curve). In Affinity Photo if you go to the Photo Persona without processing in Develop Persona and click on Auto Levels you might get something similar to Windows Photo. 

Hi all,

tnx to all for your help.

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What are your Develop Assistant Settings in Affinity Photo?

Edit > Settings, or Ctrl+, (by default) or the Assistant Settings button on the Toolbar. Then (if you're not in the Develop Persona), click on Develop Assistant at the bottom of the dialog. You have settings for Tone Map and Exposure Bias. Have you enabled either of those?

If not, you might try them.

Here is the solution. Tone Map an Exposure Bias was turned off. After enabling them AP opens my RAWs pretty good. The bus will be opened at the same expose as in Photo-App.

My last problem I hope so I do show at these pictures. Here in Photo-App (this time I've equalized the RAW here to AP).

image.png.26f7e05e2ce3d426085d41274bacf69e.png

Here in AP...

image.png.7b526cc02b65abe7ed8a10f1ebccdb5f.png

These time it's about the colour tone especially in the shadows (upper right corner...)

Thanks to v_kyr for your RAW file. Now it will be opended with the same expose as here. Do you can recommend a youtube vid for right/better RAW developing?

Now I do start learning developing. The Photo-App "optimized" the preview of a RAW to much. I've opened up my bus in AP again and become aware these time that some (important) details going lost in the Photo-App. So I do must mull my way of evaluating of displaying photos on my computer.

Here my new comparison:

In Photo-App:

image.thumb.png.59994a86f303fb1f4707fbc6ed56ebac.png

And now of AP and I've got played with gradation curve only a little bit:

image.thumb.png.d765e210a452bd8f9eea9cbbd9740c6b.png

I hope you can see the more of details and colours. I think to get more contrast I must turn to HDR. What do you think?

Thanks to all, again.

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Camerajockey said:

These two are an ORF file and a TIFF of the same image. The raw files always open this dark in Affinity Photo. I've tried Tone-curve on and off, exposure bias on and off. Neither has made any difference.

Can you upload that ORF file to the forum and also state your camera make/model?

The information on screen is too small for my eyes

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Affinity process RAW files differently to a lot of other software and the issue of ORF Raw files being too dark or flat has been raised before

@Dan C explains it better in the thread below

But for now, you might be better sticking to your existing workflow (PhotoLab) until Affinity has a chance to look at this again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

24 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Affinity process RAW files differently to a lot of other software and the issue of ORF Raw files being too dark or flat has been raised before

@Dan C explains it better in the thread below

But for now, you might be better sticking to your existing workflow (PhotoLab) until Affinity has a chance to look at this again

Cheers carl123. I'll check out @Dan C's thread.