You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.1.0 PNG export transparency issue

Hello !

I've updated Affinity Photo to version 2.1.0 and since then I'm having trouble with exporting a transparent image in PNG. By default the settings will export transparency, but whenever I change any advanced settings (fi. disabling metadata), the transparency is gone.
Here is a preview of the issue :affinity-photo-png-export.thumb.png.d88ae892692a993fdafefcc831989f9d.png

And setting "Cache" option to transparent or assigning a profile doesn't do anything. We have to use the "PNG" preset to get transparency back, but every advanced settings will be reset.

I didn't have this problem in previous version 2.0.4. Thanks in advance for your help !

Change the Matte back to transparent.

Yours

121843021_ScreenShot2023-05-19at9_00_45AM.png.43449f35c0ff718e20558e65fea6d030.png

mine

490469946_ScreenShot2023-05-19at9_00_34AM.png.db33dd86a7b84452d91f4d58c5da5923.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am seeing the same thing in Designer after updating this morning to 2.1.0. Previously matte could be set to transparent, now when you click it to set transparent, it flashes and reverts to white. I can't work like this so I'm going to try uninstalling and reverting to a previous version until this is fixed.

FWIW, it is working correctly for me in both AD & AP V2.1.0 on my Mac. Are those of you seeing this problem running the Windows version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can confirm there seems to be a bug here. The only way I can get the transparent background is to ensure the Document is set as so (Document>Transparent Background).

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

33 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I can confirm there seems to be a bug here. The only way I can get the transparent background is to ensure the Document is set as so (Document>Transparent Background).

What you're showing is not the same and is not a bug. Of course a document has to be transparent in order to be exportable as transparent. 😉

In my case, you can see on the screenshots that my document is transparent from the beginning, but the matte option doesn't work properly.

It seems to be triggered by tampering with the v Advanced area in my tests. The key is to use a profile/preset with transparency added correctly. Don't tamper with the bottom area... of course that makes adjustments difficult...

A workaround is possible however if you need to make changes in that section. Go to Matte>Swatches and select the No Fill swatch from there. It will take.

image.png.c71dc1506149ddd4046257007d1323b1.png

It's also a bug (2.1.0, Windows 10) in that upon starting Designer and going into the Export window for the first time, the Matte thumbnail is pure white (no red slash through it) even though there is no matte actually selected. Following the suggestion from @debraspicher of selecting the "no matte" option in the Swatch panel fixes this.

Closing Designer and re-opening it can restore the default of "no matte" as well, even though the color thumbnail is incorrect.

5 hours ago, Corgi said:

It's also a bug (2.1.0, Windows 10) in that upon starting Designer and going into the Export window for the first time, the Matte thumbnail is pure white (no red slash through it) even though there is no matte actually selected. Following the suggestion from @debraspicher of selecting the "no matte" option in the Swatch panel fixes this.

Closing Designer and re-opening it can restore the default of "no matte" as well, even though the color thumbnail is incorrect.

What you described is what happened on my end on first run of Export panel post-update, but I couldn't reproduce it again. It was like the issue was under the hood and I could still produce a PNG with transparency. I wasn't 100% sure if it was even a bug because I thought perhaps another setting elsewhere was overriding the swatch.

It could be the nature of the bug causes a bad "default" state (default=First rendering of the Export Window after the offending update) that loads the boolean for the matte swatch incorrectly and the problem may be how it's stored, maybe not how it is "read" into code, if I were to make a basic guess. My memory may be imperfect because I was so busy just trying to get proper output and couldn't care less about doing testing at the time.

• Staff

Just to confirm, our team have found multiple issues with the Matte dialog when exporting, and I have surmised these in the below post - 

As @debraspicher found above (thanks for this!), there is a workaround to this issue in the meantime, which I have included as a screen recording in the above post.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Not only did I find this bug, I have a temporary workaround: if you swap to Swatches for the matte color picker, you can pick a transparent swatch and it will work.
However, when you NEXT go to export, the matte will look like white again ... however it will still export as if you've set transparent - so I guess that is actually ANOTHER bug of a slightly different kind - it's showing a matte color instead of transparent, but still performing the transparent export.

Also, there is a FURTHER bug for export of images with transparent content... and this bug exists in older versions such as 2.04 as well.

If you export in PNG palette mode, some colors just vanish and are replaced with transparency, regardless of their alpha.

I can see this problem on an image I have that has only 21 unique colors in it.

I can understand that the alpha would be lost in palette images because the palette entries have no alpha but I cannot see any reason why opaque colors would simply vanish. I can understand colors that match the 'matte color' being turned into completely transparent. However, I had a white matte and black pixels were vanishing!

e.g. Pure black pixels may just vanish altogether, even when the number of different colors in the image is very low.

Palette export with a transparent color is, to put it bluntly, completely BROKEN for PNG 2.x on PC.

Finally, even with no meta-data or ICC data, exported PNGs that are not in palette format are larger than they need to be, with sub-optimal compression of completely transparent areas.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Fossil said:

However, when you NEXT go to export, the matte will look like white again ... however it will still export as if you've set transparent - so I guess that is actually another bug of a slightly different kind.

Thanks for the further info Fossil, I had missed this detail in my previous testing and I will be sure to include this with the development log now!

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

If you export in PNG palette mode, some colors just vanish and are replaced with transparency, regardless of their alpha.

I can see this problem on an image I have that has only 21 unique colors in it.

While I can understand the alpha being mangled in palette images because the palette entries have no alpha but I cannot see any reason why opaque colors would simply vanish.

e.g. Pure black pixels may just vanish altogether, even when the number of different colors in the image is very low.

Palette export is to put it bluntly, completely BROKEN for PNG 2.x on PC.

Can you please provide your Affinity document, exported PNG and screenshot of your export settings which show this issue, so that I can further investigate this and report it to our developers as required?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "PNG with Selection Only shows white background after toggling Embed ICC profiles" (REF: AFP-6164) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.1.1847".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 5:16 PM, Serif Info Bot said:

Build 2.1.1 (build 1847) is now available as a Customer Beta

We would appreciate you trying the beta build for yourself to check that the fix listed by Serif Info Bot above has been fixed for you. If it has NOT been fixed please post into the announcement post rather than here. 

Sorry for the late reply, I've downloaded the version 2.1.1 and it is fixed ! 👍 Thanks again !