You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer v2.1.0 still very laggy when zoomed in and artifacting

Just installed V2.1.

The speed is very laggy when zoomed in still . This has persisted since v2 has been released.

Its a vector file and no effects on this object. 1 object and it lags. Not happy.

PLEASE FIX THIS. 

If you being in a more complex file , its almost grinds to a halt.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

1 minute ago, thegary said:

Just installed V2.1.

The speed is very laggy when zoomed in still . This has persisted since v2 has been released.

Its a vector file and no effects on this object. 1 object and it lags. Not happy.

PLEASE FIX THIS. 

Gary

One tip, abandon Windows and buy yourself a descent Mac. 

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

One tip, abandon Windows and buy yourself a descent Mac. 

not helpful. Dont' even get me started on Macs. You wont' win.

If you read all the issues about this you would realize its software and nothing to do with hardware.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

@Chris B

When you are zoomed in and move things around it spikes the CPU to 100% over and over. This was supposed to be fixed back in 2.03. Its back. 

There is NO hardware acceleration. V1 of software doesn't do this. 

When i this going to be fixed? One object with a bevel and shadow can bring a machine to its knees.

Gary

• Staff

Hi thegary,

May i ask what steps you've tried to resolve this issue?

I notice you are driving two 4k screens, are you running both displays at 4k? If so, have you tested with a single display? In the Nvidia settings, is the GPU performing any scaling or is the Display handling this? (Nvidia control panel).

Issues like this tend to arise from hardware/drivers so any information into how you have your computer set up with regards to these is useful, for example driver version/type of driver (studio / game ready)

Any third party apps you may run in the background that may interfere etc.

Obviously some information regarding your Performance settings in Affinity would be handy, I'm assuming as an existing issue you've already experimented with these?

Lee

1 hour ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi thegary,

I notice you are driving two 4k screens, are you running both displays at 4k? If so, have you tested with a single display? In the Nvidia settings, is the GPU performing any scaling or is the Display handling this? (Nvidia control panel).

Issues like this tend to arise from hardware/drivers so any information into how you have your computer set up with regards to these is useful, for example driver version/type of driver (studio / game ready)

Obviously some information regarding your Performance settings in Affinity would be handy, I'm assuming as an existing issue you've already experimented with these?

Lee

@LeeThorpe

Hello Lee,

Thanks for your reply.

So here is what i have done so far.

1. Always test with Single Display only.  ( will worry about second monitor when i get a single one working. But it makes not difference to performance with it on .)

2. Tried both STUDIO and GAME drivers, but i default back to the STUDIO as i dont' use my PC for games.

3. I have tried with and with out Hardware OPENCL turned on. Might be slightly fast without hardware acceleration turned on. But still lagging .

4. Also most nothing running in startup but the essentials that pc needs. Antivirus is defender. Nothing else but drivers the computer needs. I do have Spyder Utility running which runs my screen calibration for my Spyder Pro. ( tried without makes no difference. )

5. I have attached screen shots of settings panel and nvidia panel for you.

6. I build PC's all the time, i dont' game and this is a work only machine. Version 1 of Affinity runs fine. Its what i have had to use for past 6 months instead of v2 as its not stable and slows my work considerably.

7. PC is set to 125% scaling in the OS settings. and 4K in the NVIDIA panel. Screen shot attached.

8. The scaling in the software isn't good. Varies from so much . Need a better scaling option in the software. Need a larger thumbnail size for layers.

9. I am NOT having issue with any other software. Just Designer V2 in specific.  Adobe works fine ( dont' want to use this but ). Blender is about the best software. You guys should look at how they allow you to scale the interface. All other software works as expected.

Any suggestions? Not sure why hardware acceleration needs to be off. It made a huge difference when you added it to v1, seems to be a hinderance to v2.

Thank you

Gary

Designer_2023-05-19_11-47-53.png

Designer_2023-05-19_11-47-59.png

Designer_2023-05-19_11-48-02.png

Designer_2023-05-19_11-48-05.png

nvcplui_2023-05-19_11-48-36.png

image.thumb.png.9b03dd2b25f2df9a4e0659724edcce51.pngnvcplui_2023-05-19_11-48-43.png

On 5/19/2023 at 10:49 AM, LeeThorpe said:

Hi thegary,

Lee

@LeeThorpe

Any update on the info i posted for you above?

Gary

On 5/18/2023 at 4:54 PM, thegary said:

Just installed V2.1.

PLEASE FIX THIS. 

Would you care to share that example file?

4 minutes ago, Return said:

Would you care to share that example file?

@Return

You don't need a example. Video at the top shows you what is happening. You can draw a cube and it happens.

Gary

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Can you check what the polling rate is on your mouse? A colleague was seeing lag when it was set to 1000 or higher 

@Chris B

did a online check. doesn't go higher than 900.

There is no mouse software either just what windows 10 installs.  Never run mouse software since owning a pc as i don't game..

Is there something i should try?

Gary

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Can you check what the polling rate is on your mouse? A colleague was seeing lag when it was set to 1000 or higher 

@Chris B

I am using a Logitech MX 518 mouse. Changed the polling down to 500...makes no difference.

Gary

• Staff

We will continue to look at what else you can try. However, at the moment the issue does seem isolated. Most users in the threads you were involved in reported positive feedback regarding performance after the fix we made. I did see a thread yesterday where someone with a threadripper reduced the amount of processors which improved everything. However, that does not suggest why you have a difference between v1 and v2. 

We will continue to look at what else you can try. However, at the moment the issue does seem isolated. Most users in the threads you were involved in reported positive feedback regarding performance after the fix we made. I did see a thread yesterday where someone with a threadripper reduced the amount of processors which improved everything. However, that does not suggest why you have a difference between v1 and v2. 

@Chris B

This isn't isolated , there pages and pages of threads about his problem. The only thing that has changed in the setup is V2. V1 has not lag issues.

Gary

• Staff

Hi Gary,

These pages and pages of threads, to my knowledge was referring to lag which was being caused by us implementing something that tracked objects on the page/document. This was implemented in the earliest versions of V2 and removed in the last beta of V2 which was then released to the public. We've had lots of people suggest that the lag has stopped or vastly improved.

I've just checked some of these threads that we linked to from the bug report and the feedback has been positive. 

If you still have V1 installed, can you please start a document in that, record yourself moving an object and then save it, open in V2 and continue to move the object. I can then pass this to the developers and they might be able to identify something else.

Hi Gary,

These pages and pages of threads, to my knowledge was referring to lag which was being caused by us implementing something that tracked objects on the page/document. This was implemented in the earliest versions of V2 and removed in the last beta of V2 which was then released to the public. We've had lots of people suggest that the lag has stopped or vastly improved.

I've just checked some of these threads that we linked to from the bug report and the feedback has been positive. 

If you still have V1 installed, can you please start a document in that, record yourself moving an object and then save it, open in V2 and continue to move the object. I can then pass this to the developers and they might be able to identify something else.

@chris b

it will have to wait till end of summer. On a new show. No time.

Gary