You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lag, Spinning Wheel, Crashing, CPU usage 98% Help!

Hi, 

I can't seem to use Affinity photo anymore, I can get so far with lots and lots of lag time, spinning wheel etc and I finally finished a photo and went to export and it completely stops responding. I have tried reseting the default settings, I  have rum my mac through first aid, no problems. I have restarted it. I have increased the RAM usage setting in Af as per someones suggestion. Nothing works. I am not very tech savvy so I don't know what else to do. This is now constant and never ending. It has become unusable. Its funny because it used to be fine??? Can anybody help me please. I have attached a screen shot of the computer system I am using ...but like I said it used to work fine. Also when my CPU goes through the roof (98%) there is nothing else open except Activity monitor. I am using Ox S El Capitan 10.11.3

post-5951-0-70002900-1456974292_thumb.png

I am afraid I have not run across your persistent problem.  I am certain a moderator will be replying to you soon.  All I can offer, which I don't think I saw, was reinstalling from scratch.  I think all you have to do is delete your existing program. Go to the app store, and reinstall AP.  I can't think of anything else to do at the moment, but I know with other problems from programs talked about, one of the most consistent remedies was to reinstall from the App Store.  

Good luck. I am certain that actual Affinity people will be replying to you soon. 

Close Affinity Photo down and then try deleting the com.seriflabs.affinityphoto and the com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.beta folders from ~/Library/Containers directory.  You will loose all of your preferences but I have a feeling that there is something corrupt in there.

Can I ask if this is happening with all and any Affinity file or photo you load? Or with just one specific file?
If it’s only some specific files then the “fault”, whatever it may, be might lie within them and not the app per-say. In which case no amount of reinstalling will help.
I couldn’t find it looking just now, (and hope I didn’t imagine it!) but I have a vague memory of someone posting with a similar CPU/runaway fans issue which was caused by a “selection” on a layer not clearing but was not visible to the user.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi , it was really bad with tiffs, I have just worked on a jpeg and all was going smoothly at the start and towards the end it starts to lag...but it has managed to export the last 2 photos. I wish I knew more...when I would try and export the tiff it would stop responding. ... I am sure the answer is out there somewhere....thanks anyway for everyone input! I have actually learnt new things to try...even though they haven't worked.  :rolleyes:  :)

Hi Megan, if you have tried deleting all associated files & reinstalling AP, then try running EtreCheck. (http://etrecheck.com/#download)

This is a diagnostic program that can help to show if there is anything causing problems with your mac. It’s a well known utility, nothing to fear and you can read about it on apple.com support pages etc.

From reading your comments, if you are running OS X 10.11+ and have plenty of disk space available for swap files, i’m guessing it’s probably a ram issue.