You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lag, Spinning Wheel, Crashing, CPU usage 98% Help!

Hi, 

I can't seem to use Affinity photo anymore, I can get so far with lots and lots of lag time, spinning wheel etc and I finally finished a photo and went to export and it completely stops responding. I have tried reseting the default settings, I  have rum my mac through first aid, no problems. I have restarted it. I have increased the RAM usage setting in Af as per someones suggestion. Nothing works. I am not very tech savvy so I don't know what else to do. This is now constant and never ending. It has become unusable. Its funny because it used to be fine??? Can anybody help me please. I have attached a screen shot of the computer system I am using ...but like I said it used to work fine. Also when my CPU goes through the roof there is nothing else open except Activity monitor. I am using Ox S El Capitan 10.11.3

Been there.  Done That.

For me, the main thing is to use control button.   The simplest way to get this taken care of, is go to launch pad.   While holding down control, click on AP icon.  I dialogue comes up.  Be sure to 'select all', and clear.

When AP starts up again, you will need to update your preferences.  They will have been nullified.  Let us know if this was the correct answer, and that it worked.

Cheer,

David

Hi David4

I tried that, I don't get any pop up window....I was wondering if that was now obsolete???? so I went into AP preferences and reset it there....but still no luck!  Yeah funny how I don't get that pop up window on Control Click or Click Control. But thanks for trying... :)....Ok, I mucked up, I re read your post and went to launch pad and did what you said and I got the pop up and selected all and cleared it.  Silly me was trying to get it from my dock. Thanks again.....now to see if its fixed it...

Hi Megan. Have you tried restarting your Mac? Try a 'Safe Boot' by restarting and pressing the Shift key (as for capital letters) before the chime. There will be lots of horizontal flickering on the screen to remind you that this is Safe Boot. Startup will be slow, as will the first startup after Safe Boot. This process clears all sorts of caches and other bits and pieces that might be off-colour which is why it may take a little time. Be patient  :angry: and don't forget to restart normally (no Shift key) afterwards. Just possibly it may help to repeat this process a second time.

You might need to trash your existing  Affinity Photo from your Applications folder and re-download and install from the App store.

4GB of Ram is modest, and installing more may help to avoid this sort of issue. Make sure you have at least 12% to 15% free space on your hard drive. OSX loves wriggle room!

Hi Uuiop, I did the safe boot and I think it has helped a little. For instants there seems to be less lag time (I have just tried one photo) and it did export without stopping even though I noticed it still took CPU near 100%! But it didn't stop responding like it usually has so maybe we are onto something. What I am waiting to see now is as I do more processing will it slowly start to happen again. So I need to do say around ten more photos to be sure. Will post if it starts having problems again....so until then thanks and lets hope in stops hanging and not responding. I haven't tried it on tiffs yet.

Megan, one of the standard troubleshooting techniques for problems like yours is to create a test user account, then log into that account & see if the problem persists. If it does not, you know there is something in your normal user account that is causing it & there is no need to reinstall the OS or the app you are having problems with.

This is easy to do by following the steps in the linked Apple support document.

Edited to add the word "not" to get the logic right. Sorry for any confusion that might have caused.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Megan, I'm wondering if your file sizes at 'tiff' are way to big......

That might have been my problem...   I no longer have a problem even with large file sizes.   If by chance it this issue happens again, then I will go to "launchpad', hold down the 'control' key and click on AP icon in 'launchpad', and reset all  the settings to 'clear'.

Very interesting....I, Me, David, cannot repeat what I told you ! ! ! ! ! !

Kind Regards,

David