You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi jackanderson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In Designer/Photo you can set the Guides in menu View ▸ Guides Manager.... You can set the units to Percent on bottom and write 33% and 66% in the input fields.

If you are cropping an image in Affinity Photo, there's an overlay dropdown in the context toolbar (right above the work area) with a few options to choose from including Thirds Grid.

• 8 months later...

Is there going to be a rule of thirds guide for designer? I've just been following one of the tutorials in the workbook and it looks like the number of pixels has to be calculated to divide the (required for the project) rectangle into a 3x3 grid. An 'elastic' rule of thirds grid would have been so much quicker.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• 6 months later...

Is it possible to show the rule of thirds guide lines on each image you have open?  After setting up the guides manager i can only see the lines on one of the three documents I have open.  Is there a way to ensure each document shows the guide lines in Photo.  

Is there going to be a rule of thirds guide for designer? I've just been following one of the tutorials in the workbook and it looks like the number of pixels has to be calculated to divide the (required for the project) rectangle into a 3x3 grid. An 'elastic' rule of thirds grid would have been so much quicker. 

In Designer/Photo you can set the Guides in menu View ▸ Guides Manager.... You can set the units to Percent on bottom and write 33% and 66% in the input fields.

If you are cropping an image in Affinity Photo, there's an overlay dropdown in the context toolbar (right above the work area) with a few options to choose from including Thirds Grid.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, duebergang said:

33% and 66% are not thirds exactly though, would be nice if there was a more precise way?

Why does it need to be any more precise - the rule of thirds is just a general guide to help produce a pleasing composition.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

1 hour ago, duebergang said:

33% and 66% are not thirds exactly though, would be nice if there was a more precise way?

In the Guides Manager with the percent box checked, you can enter for example 33.3333333% or math expressions like 100/3, which will be rounded off to two decimal places.

However, I think that is just for display purposes because without the percent box checked, you can use variables like h for the height of the canvas & h/3 yields a displayed number that has the same number of decimal places as you have set in Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places for Unit Types for the unit type. So for example, with Pixels set to display the maximum of 6 decimal places, for a 1280 px tall canvas, h/3 displays 426.666667 px. As I understand it, the internal precision is much higher than that, to something on the order of 10 decimal places.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7