You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

19 minutes ago, Artcraft said:

add and sub do not work, I have no clue why.

Neither do I.

However, if I use the Node tool and select each shape and then Break the Curve, Join the Curve and Reverse the Curve. For each curve separately. Then I can add them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Neither do I.

However, if I use the Node tool and select each shape and then Break the Curve, Join the Curve and Reverse the Curve. For each curve separately. Then I can add them.

this indeed works.... quite convoluted but a solution is a solution.

1 hour ago, Artcraft said:

this indeed works.... quite convoluted but a solution is a solution.

Simpler to not do the breaking and joining - just reverse the path of the lower shape only (or both shapes simultaneously if you wish) and then Boolean Add will work.

The other Boolean operations will continue to not work or produce wrong results after the simple or convoluted procedures.

(Affinity 1.10.6 has no problem with these shapes.)

1 hour ago, ,,, said:

Simpler to not do the breaking and joining - just reverse the path of the lower shape only (or both shapes simultaneously if you wish) and then Boolean Add will work.

The other Boolean operations will continue to not work or produce wrong results after the simple or convoluted procedures.

(Affinity 1.10.6 has no problem with these shapes.)

Thanks for testing, I add a bug tag to it... I had a group of many objects and sub groups, curves included, I tried to merge (with add) everything.... maybe this broke it somehow.

Interestingly, selecting the smaller shape and then nudging its position down or up using the arrow keys, and then using Geometry Add, allows the shapes to be Added, while nudging it left or right and then Adding doesn’t.

Nudging it down and then up (or up and then down) before the Add doesn’t work. (Nudge distance in these tests was set to 1 pixel.)

Also, moving both shapes together before the Add doesn’t work either.

Flipping the smaller shape, either horizontally or vertically, and then Adding works (even thought the result is not what’s wanted), but flipping and then flipping back again (not undoing) before the Add doesn’t work.

Expanding either curve and then Adding doesn’t work.

Converting either shape to a Text Frame and then back to a Curve before the Add doesn’t work.

Drawing a rectangle which overlaps either shape and then Adding just that shape and the rectangle works, but drawing a rectangle which overlaps both shapes (or doesn’t overlap either) and then Adding doesn’t work.

Good luck to the developers figuring this one out.

Further to @GarryP's list.

Using the latest beta (1790) I chose the smaller shape with the Node tool active and hit the Smooth button on the Context Toolbar. Then it could be added.

I am not sure why the Smooth button is missing from Designer 2 (at least here on Mac)

Designer 2 (retail)

344483411_ScreenShot2023-05-08at7_46_40AM.png.eec54d210025530e56f6373c4d0ef898.png

beta version

972875162_ScreenShot2023-05-08at7_46_09AM.png.19ceca211faf3bb62555b7136d39105b.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I am not sure why the Smooth button is missing from Designer 2 (at least here on Mac)

The button is there but it has the wrong icon (Smooth node icon instead of Smooth Curve icon) in the light UI of both 2 and 2.1 beta.

Nice catch, ,,, or Nice catch, ''' .

I now know what it was that was making me think, "Some thing is wrong, or different, or something...." Makes me wonder how many other little things I am missing out on.

Sigh, as much as I like the Affinity Suite it is these little problems with the interface that make it less and less enjoyable/easy to use.

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

Good luck to the developers figuring this one out.

The problem appears related to the tiny loop in the path of the smaller shape at its lowest node. If you eliminate the loop or make it about four times larger then all the Boolean operations work for the two shapes. (Bruce's use of Smooth Curve enlarges the loop and then the Boolean operations succeed.)