You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am working on a map right now and have a strange problem while exporting my layout:

I have a bunch of rail tracks painted in a white and black deshaed line on my map. When I export the map to PDF the white lines (except from one! little section) are not exported. In Affinity the white dashed lines are shown properly.

This is pre export in Affinity:

image.png.5109cdaa779dcdba088fe164c06f3c29.png

And this is after export in any PDF Reader(on top you can se the section where the export works):

image.thumb.png.27f08bd7ab34f239ed150b48d67ad5b5.png

image.png.8a6ffea4599d15dae6367c4955966bac.png

When I export it as PNG, the white liens are exported just fine.

Any ideas?

It looks like the black/white dotted curve is actually (at least) two curves that meet at the same point.

If that’s correct, what are the differences between the curves, if any?

Does one (or more) of them have an Adjustment, Effect or Blend Mode that is not on the other(s) or is different to the other(s)?

I see you are using CMYK, which I am not comfortable with, but someone else might be able to say if that could present relevant specific problems.

Yeah, these are different curves. I imported them from a GIS Software where I have rendered them. 

There are two seperate lines because of the different colors I need for representing the railroad track style.

It's not the first time I have done it this way, but the first time that this problem occured.

"Does one (or more) of them have an Adjustment, Effect or Blend Mode that is not on the other(s) or is different to the other(s)?"

No, there is no further styling. Only a color is set and the settings you see in the screenies below.

II moved them a bit for a better distinction.

image.png.b5f15e6ee71d2ea40122b5690b1587c1.pngimage.png.1c37782de2b8e043f1971226d1c51c3d.png

image.png

Thanks for the extra information.

There’s nothing in the screen-grabs that I can see which would cause a problem but, as I said above, if it’s something to do with CMYK then I couldn’t tell.

Have you tried creating a new document (with the same colour profile/management setup as the original document), putting a coloured rectangle over the whole canvas (so you can see both curves), copying/pasting the two curves from the original into the new document, and then exporting that?

P.S. With Designer, you can make the black/white dotted line with just one curve, see attached image and document. Select a curve and have a look in the Appearance Panel and the settings for each Stroke, noting the dash pattern. All kinds of things are possible with some experimentation and might save you time in the long run.

image.thumb.png.5d4e4ce5e14afd73bde3c04aa9cb0831.png

different-dashed-curves.afdesign

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Thanks for the extra information.

There’s nothing in the screen-grabs that I can see which would cause a problem but, as I said above, if it’s something to do with CMYK then I couldn’t tell.

Have you tried creating a new document (with the same colour profile/management setup as the original document), putting a coloured rectangle over the whole canvas (so you can see both curves), copying/pasting the two curves from the original into the new document, and then exporting that?

P.S. With Designer, you can make the black/white dotted line with just one curve, see attached image and document. Select a curve and have a look in the Appearance Panel and the settings for each Stroke, noting the dash pattern. All kinds of things are possible with some experimentation and might save you time in the long run.

image.thumb.png.5d4e4ce5e14afd73bde3c04aa9cb0831.png

different-dashed-curves.afdesign 40.99 kB · 0 downloads

Good idea. That's the result of the new document:

image.thumb.png.1adbf109e161d4c7ca48d006118e1069.png

It looks like it should. Thecolor progfile is exactly the same and the export settings, too.

Strange..

I will consider deleting the white line and making the dashpatter out of the black line.

Thanks again Gary.