klownshed

[By Design] Freehand import - text

I've just purchased the app, partly due to the Freehand import capabilities.

I've searched through the forums and can find no mention of how the importer deals with text. So far, all the FH files I've tried to import have no text in them at all. 

Is AD supposed to be able to import text? None of the FH docs I've opened in AD have any text blocks in them at all.

So far AD is looking promising as a FH replacement and I'm particularly looking forward to the multi-page features that have been mentioned...

It's currently opening FH files reasonably well, but text is an issue.

It converts it all to paths at present.

Try putting all your text on the same layer and make sure all frames are firmly on the page.

Anything sitting slightly off page won't pull through.

Try exporting as a PDF from Freehand and then open that in Affinity - an extra step I know - but text remains editable.

So far that works (perfectly?) for me (FH11).

There's a Freehand thread here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1281-freehand-users-requests/

Thanks.

I've got a lot of old FH files hanging about. I used to use FH for all of our companies paperwork. A lot of it I've redone in Pages (!) as they were mainly tables and forms. But whatever I open in AD has no text at all, as I mentioned, not even converted to paths text. I can understand stuff like text on a path not being converted, as AD doesn't seem to support that (unless I've missed something) but nothing I open has any text in it at all, and I'm sure that all of the text blocks in my FH files are firmly in the page.

It's not a deal breaker, I never expected anything new to come along and open FH files in any case, but it would have been nice to re-visit some old stuff that was never saved as PDF or re-done in other apps.

As I said above, I'm looking forward to the multi-page stuff in AD to be able to use an AD in a similar way to the way I used to use FH.

I've now tried dozens of different files and no text at all is ever imported. Not a word!

Is this a bug or is AD not attempting to import text yet?

PS: I've also tried the latest Beta and get no joy with it either.

Freehand import still has a way to go, so I think this is just a part that hasn't been fully written yet. From what I know the import should be improved at some point in the future. In the meantime time I shall log the issue as it is affecting you (and possible many more freehand users) and it would be nice to get this sorted :) .

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

It's great to know you have Freehand import on your radar.

I think there's a big pent-up demand from Freehand users for a replacement. A lot of the people I know that used FH used it as a combination of illustration and DTP app. I used it a lot like that; for forms, brochures and leaflets, etc. so have lots of text-heavy documents in FH format. It was the perfect app at the time for short layout heavy documents.

I'm loving finally having 'paste inside' back and can't wait for AD to evolve and for some much used and much missed FH features to finally be available again!

I know this isn't the right thread, but whilst I'm on the topic of text, some kind of simple text ruler showing tabs and indents would be great. I've been trying to re-do an old form and it used lots of hanging indents which I can't find a way to edit properly with the paragraph settings window.

PS. Paste Inside. THANK YOU :-)

I've just found this post after responding to another about losing all my text when opening freehand files into AD (unless it was already converted to paths in the old Freehand file)

Has there been a solution to this?

I used Freehand as a combination for illustrating and all my design work, so I have hundreds of files that I'd love to be able to open and work with, but AD is dropping all the fonts and text boxes...

It would be amazing if AD could become a replacement for Freehand...