You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why can't I edit this mask?

You've rasterized to mask so it says Mask, but it's not in the mask position. It's in the child/clipping position.

(You can see that the "mask's" thumbnail sits at the midpoint(ish) of the image's thumbnail above it. The mask position is further right)

So.... drag the mask onto the image thumbnail (the blue indicator line should be vertical on the right side of the thumb).

Alternatively, you can drag the mask above the image, right click on it and choose "Mask to Below".

Thanks Jimmy!  I would never have guessed to do that.

How would I have rasterised?  All I did was add a pixel layer, which I used for cloning.

(Is there any kind of manual yet.  The help is next to useless for this sort of thing and I could watch endless videos and never find the answer.)

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Thanks Jimmy!  I would never have guessed to do that.

How would I have rasterised?  All I did was add a pixel layer, which I used for cloning.

(Is there any kind of manual yet.  The help is next to useless for this sort of thing and I could watch endless videos and never find the answer.)

Well, it's hard to say exactly how you got there. Check your history maybe?

It seems to me that one of two things happened.

Either a pixel layer was made into a mask (layer dropdown > rasterize to mask is the most common way I think),

Or...A mask layer was moved out of position.

Don't know about a manual, but people have been asking.

HI.

I tried to replicate this, and I noticed that you have the selection brush going, but nothing is selected.

Try to cmd click on the background layer, select your mask and then you can refine your mask

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Thanks Madame!

I actually tried every which way you can imagine, before making the screen-movie.  Nothing I could do would allow me to edit the mask, until I did as Jimmy suggested.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Good to know. :)

There's so many ways, -not only to do it right, but also to get it wrong. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2