You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Digital Mirror,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's a few situations that may rasterise some objects, like Layer Effects for example when exporting in a vector format. PNG is a raster format so all data will be rasterised.

Without seeing the afdesign file is difficult to guess what's going on. Any chance you can upload it somewhere and post a link here so we can take look?

png and svg are file types created for usage on screens. Therefor these types need to be rasterized – or to be more precise: png is a pixel file format that is always pixels, whereas .svg remains scalable (i.e. scalable vector graphic) but is still considered to be used on screens. And screens do work with pixels, so .svg must show pixels.

To avoid this behavior you should export as PDF or EPS (though I am pretty sure Affinity creates a PDF file while exporting as EPS anyway.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxsv7SdXaHrDQWEzalhhMFBUMEE/view?usp=sharing

Thank you both, I was under the impression that PNG and SVG were working with vectors... so now I know. I have checked for layer effects, but havent found anything.... I have tried to make sure I am working with pure vectors. When I export the slice as a PDF, it shows the arms and part of the bg in a stripe of pixels.... which I do not understand at all. Thank you for your help!

SVG is a vector format, but there are Affinity features it does not support, and these get rasterised. Examples include Layer effects, blend modes, complex transparency, complex brushes, conical fills... if you use the File > Export dialog, there will be a parenthetical comment next to the DPI field which will tell you if anything will be rasterised.

Likewise with PDF and EPS, although the exact features they support varies. We do export EPS as genuine EPS, not PDF, as you can tell if you open the files in TextEdit.

.... which I do not understand at all. Thank you for your help!

Very easy, don’t know why it was not explained in detail. :( Just use vectorial masks (instead of pixel based).

Just for a quick test: Delete your raw pixel based masks and export a pdf …  :)

Just ask if you need more information.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Digital Mirror,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's a few situations that may rasterise some objects, like Layer Effects for example when exporting in a vector format. PNG is a raster format so all data will be rasterised.

Without seeing the afdesign file is difficult to guess what's going on. Any chance you can upload it somewhere and post a link here so we can take look?

I still have no idea why my file is not exporting without rasterizing. I have no layer masks that I know of in this file and I do not have FX. Can someone help me with this?

Here is the designer file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxsv7SdXaHrDdUlNcWJVWGFRbVU/view?usp=sharing

THANK YOU :)

I still have no idea why my file is not exporting without rasterizing.

That was answered.  :(

In your new file you have adjustments (result in exported bitmaps) and a mess of curves. Delete some of the unneeded ones and exchange the rectangles with the gradient.

Is it from a clipart library?

… What are adjustments?

… And no, this is not clipart, I made this.... why do you ask? If it was clipart, wouldnt it all be flattened?

If you made it, you have used them. Please, have a look into the Affinity Designer Help.

Placing (cheap) cliparts sometimes can cause errors. After placing you can change everything. Even if it was flattened.

I have trouble exporting in eps.  In the export persona, I have stated rasterise nothing, yet I still have my image rejected for containing raster elements. I did not use adjustments or layer effects.  I did not use any sort of brush. Just pen mode and some basic shapes given in AD Beta.  So how can I know which part of my image was rasterised?  I did have some colour gradients in my image (using fill tool, elliptical and linear type).  Could this be the cause?

Hi. I downloaded the google drive file. 
You have some adjustment layers. (Black and white adjustments).
I deleted them, but I still got the message that "some areas would be rasterized)

(The adjustments are the white squares in the layers panel -yes I know, it's a steep learning curve ;) )

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Yes.

-I just realised if you choose the default which is "SVG (flatten)" the document will be rasterised.
Chose one of the others in the drop down box.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

MEB, yes the export was on Postscript 3 and I did not use any transparency.  May I send the file to you privately MEB?  The image is already on sale now (jpg format) so I don't want to share it publicly in here.  I couldn't sell the vector format though because the agency claimed the image has raster elements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...