You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad as a Tablet - Which App to Buy?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences of using an iPad with a stylus as a graphics tablet for Design, Photo or really any other software on their computer where using a pen is better.

I've narrowed it down to the following three apps

1. Astropad Graphics Tablet

2. Air Display 3

3. Duet Display

I've bought the Bamboo Fineline 2 stylus which works quite nicely on the ipad in different apps.

I downloaded the Astropad mini (free) which says you can't use it on the ipad, but actually you can draw behind the big splash screen to test it out. It flows very nicely without any noticable lag for me. I felt the flow of drawing, and it translated to the computer screen with ease. I tested it with AD, AP & Mischief (free version).

The only drawback I see is that when something moves it pixelates coarsely, so videos are grainy, but also the "running ants" selection is blurred in AD and AP.

I also downloaded Air Login - from the same company as Air Display 3 - which was very laggy, although I don't know if AD3 works with the same connection. (I'm mailing with the maker.)

I haven't been able to check out Duet Display. 

What's you're story?

cheers,

Luke

The two I have tried are Astropad and Air Stylus. Of the two, Astropad is miles better and is still being developed. I don't use it regularly, but I've heard it is also better if the iPad is plugged into the computer via USB.

Recently I received an email from Astropad. It appears they might be migrating to a subscription model for "pro" users at $99 per year. There would still be a free version, but much more limited.

Hello Lukenewman,

I found a little article about using Astropad and Affinity Photo.

(last chapter of the column).

In german, but you can translate with an app or browser plugin.

:rolleyes:

Link to www.affinitytutorials.de

Ciao Jack 

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

• 5 months later...

Have You had any luck with the iPad as a graphics tablet? I tried AstroPad on the iPadPro and it was ... working, but not usable at all for work. Too much lag.

I used to work on a Wacom 13HD before. Then I sold it and bought an iPadPro. I use it almost exclusively for drawing with Adobe Sketch, Procreate and, yes, Notes.

I do use Duet and hook up the iPad Pro to my MacBookAir. The screen sizes are almost identical and make a decent dual screen workstation on the go :)

Have You had any luck with the iPad as a graphics tablet? I tried AstroPad on the iPadPro and it was ... working, but not usable at all for work. Too much lag.

I used to work on a Wacom 13HD before. Then I sold it and bought an iPadPro. I use it almost exclusively for drawing with Adobe Sketch, Procreate and, yes, Notes.

I do use Duet and hook up the iPad Pro to my MacBookAir. The screen sizes are almost identical and make a decent dual screen workstation on the go :)

Does Duet support Apple Pencil pressure?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Sad to hear Astropad is considering a subscription model for "pro" users.

Hmmmm... 

I think it has not yet reached that "professional" level to justify a subscription model.

At least it has to give me the very same performance of a Cintiq, and it can't today.

They did a terrific job, and improved it dramatically, but it is still a firsthand.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers