You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save image as afphoto or jpeg formats

the afphoto format saves the state of your project, with layers, selections, adjustment settings. if you later reopen an afphoto file, you'll be able to start your editing work exactly where you left it. these are regular files, that are stored in the filesystem of your mac, wherever you decide to.

jpeg is a good format for finished jobs, if you don't need full quality (jpeg is a lossy compressed format) but you need to save disk space (since jpeg compression is more effective than, for example, lzw compression or tiff files).

take care,

stefano

• Staff

Hi newbie2,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

.afphoto is Affinity Photo native file format, that is, the format developed by Affinity to save all your document info, from layers, adjustements, FX effects, document history (if enabled) all is retained so you can continue to work from where you left your project. You can save afphoto files where you want like you do for Apple Pages or Apple Numbers documents.

Besides our native format, you can export is a number of other "generic" formats that can be read by most other graphics apps: JPG, PNG, TIFF, SVG etc Their choice depends mostly on what do you intend to do with your image: JPG is a lossy compression format - it 's great for use on the web, or to store images keeping their file size relatively small. However it's not adequate to save you work between sessions because it loses quality every time you re-save the file and also because it's doesn't support various features needed to keep your files easily editable like layers, alpha channels, paths etc.

• Staff

Hi David,

.afphoto files are like any other file format you use on your Mac.

When you create a document in Pages where do you save the .pages document? How do you open it again later?

It's exactly the same with .afphoto files. If you haven't changed the save location once yet they are probably located in your Documents folder.

But they can be saved anywhere on your system. It's you who choose where to save them in Affinity Photo Save As... dialog.

MEB, those eight image files downloaded to my Mac.......I still cannot find them.    I am probably missing something......"Pages".   No idea what you are writing about.  I do have a documents folder.   However, "Pages"?

Thanks for a fine application.

Cheers,

David

Pages is an Apple application. See this topic for the location of the example files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi newbie2.

for background:

it’s possible that your Affinity Photo file isn’t showing its filename extension (for Affinity Photo files this is “.afphoto”).

In OSX, filename extensions can be hidden (default) or shown. The setting is found in Finder Preferences:  Finder > Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions.

It may help you to save your files to your “Desktop” and then to store them away wherever you wish. Press cmd + d  simultaneously to set this destination choice in the Save dialogue.

Additionally, pressing cmd + f after you have clicked on your Desktop will open a Search window. Enter the term .afphoto to find all your Affinity Photo files whether in a particular finder folder or your Mac’s drive including attached external drives. You can then easy move them where you wish.

newbe2.. if you can't find your afphoto-files. Go to spotlight and type in .. afphoto and you'll find them.

David4, if you are talking about the pictures from the welcome-screen, -if you have had a restart on your Mac, they are gone. Not there.

EDIT: There was Uuiop with a solution. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Madame,  are you saying the image files are gone, totally, of my Mac, when I restart my Mac?  Are you suggesting they are not left is some folder?   Call me confused.   Actually, I am easily confused.

Cheers,

David

• Staff

Hi David,

If you are talking about the sample files that you can download from the Welcome screen, then you're right sorry.

Those are downloaded to a temporary folder that's not easy to find. For those cases do this: download and open the sample image you want, then go to menu File ▸ Reveal in Finder.

Affinity will open the folder where the file is located. Just copy it to whatever you want.

Madame,  are you saying the image files are gone, totally, of my Mac, when I restart my Mac?  Are you suggesting they are not left is some folder?

Yes, they are removed when restarting your Mac, just as I mentioned in your other topic about this. If you want to save them permanently, in that topic A_B_C told you how to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

sorton, you can export afphoto files to any of several different formats, either using the File > Export menu item or from the Export persona.

Affinity Photo