You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Affinity !

Have a weird problem and wanted to make sure i'm doing it correctly.

I have a load of large scans of old photos, with multiple photos on each file. They were scanned at 1200 dpi as TIFFs.

I've loaded them into Affinity and want to select each photo from the large scan and make a separate one. 

I've selected the area with the marquee, copied it then 'New From Clipboard' however the resultant image is clearly a lower resolution and size from the original when viewed at 100%. I've tried copying an area then creating a new file at 1200dpi and pasting it and it looks fine and the right size. It seems 'New From Clipboard' isn't transferring over the resolution maybe ? Or the size ? Or am i missing something ? Any suggestions welcome.

cxi2001

Silly me.   How do you upload, say, 20 image files into AP?      Some time back, a member asked about how long does it take to load?   I think he mentioned 35,000 images.   Guess I am not familiar with the idea of uploading  lots of image files in AP.   

I load image files into LR6.4......  Thank you for guiding me.

Cheers,

David

cxi2001,

From what I can tell, at least on my Macs "New From Clipboard" assigns the new file a default DPI setting of 96 pixels per inch, regardless of the dpi setting of the source file. That doesn't change the resolution or number of pixels in the new image, but it does dramatically change the 100% view size, since that is based on the document's dpi setting.

You can change the new doc's dpi setting from the Document > Resize Document menu item to match that of the source file. To retain the original resolution & pixel count, in the resize dialog window, be sure to uncheck "Resample" first.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

On trying this again with the photo's, on closer inspection it appears that this may not have worked after all. The resultant photos still look too low in resolution compared to the originals. When i manually create a new document with the same resolution and paste the new image into it , it looks fine. You can tell because the new image retains the large pixel size (length and width) of the original (1000's of pixels) and the 'new from document' version is only 100's of pixels in height and width - the file size is small too (few hundred kb) rather than MB which i would expect ? Or am i missing something else entirely ?

I have also noticed this process to be very crash prone - i've had 3 spinning wheels of doom in an hour trying to do this.

I'm a bit disappointed as i've just paid for the full version to do this.

if you're having troubles with the select/copy/paste as new workflow, you could try a different approach.

instead of selecting, crop a single photo out of your image and select "save as", the undo.

this way you get your whole image back and you're able to crop another photo, while having the previously cropped image saved on disk.

just pay attention to the fact that the file name you used to save as becomes the new filename of your working file (you have the original png or jpeg anyway).

take care,

stefano