You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on save

• Staff

Hi @Jason Mark,

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

I have tested this on both an M1 and Intel based mac and I've been unable to replicate this issue thus far. Can you please confirm for me:

What location are you opening/saving these files to? Is this a network/cloud synced location etc?

What type of changes are you making to the PNG image?

If you use Save As, rather than Save, does the app still crash?

I'd also like to request a copy of your crash reports as these should hopefully provide more information for me as to the cause of this. Please follow the below FAQ to find these and attach the latest 2-3 to your reply here -

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I restarted so I didn't have crash logs but I could reproduce in a couple of minutes See photo below for steps... If I save it in the same folder (in Desktop which is part of apple cloud sync) it hangs and if I save it anywhere else it doesn't. Your forum sent an error when I try to upload the source PNG so I uploaded as a ZIP, not sure if that worked either.image.thumb.png.5a5417d265357d29c0f873afedb1b544.png

untitled folder.zip

crash reports.rtf

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me - I've tested once again on an M1 MBP and I'm still unable to replicate this issue, however I am saving to a local only Desktop location.

1 hour ago, Jason Mark said:

If I save it in the same folder (in Desktop which is part of apple cloud sync) it hangs and if I save it anywhere else it doesn't

This appears to be an error caused by iCloud, rather than the Affinity app itself. I've had a look online and there are other reports of iCloud causing freezing, or failure to upload with files using the same name:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/448260

Our developers recommend opening/saving files from a local location, and using cloud/network locations with a copy of your Affinity documents for backup purposes, though if you do still wish to load/save to a 'synced' location, simply changing the name of the .afphoto file should stop this from occurring.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I do wonder if there's something ya'll can do "on save" to catch this. I lost about an hour between the multiple crashes and I'm sure I'm not the only user of yours who loses info. You should be able to easily check on save to see if there is a file with the same name (less prefix) and if it's an iCloud folder...

IDK maybe not... maybe it's too low level and all you can do is submit it to Apple and hope for the best.

• Staff

I certainly understand, I've logged this with our team for further investigation and requested for additional 'checks' to be added by the Affinity apps if possible - though this may require intervention from Apple to be resolved - I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick note to say that I've also been experiencing this issue for the last few months, and have lost work more than few times because of it. I don't have much to add to how to reproduce it, what is described above does cause the issue for me, and generally it's always when doing a "Save As" that I get the infinite spinner and need to force quit. It has been enough of a problem that it has kept me from using Affinity Photo when I otherwise would have.