You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rescale document to print format, both AD and AP

It would be interesting if there was a way to scale up a document to a defined format (printer or whatever else demands the format).  This would mean making a choice of crop or adding blank space for existing content, but at present, any rescale to such a format means:

1- decide on format (say, A3 borderless, or SRA3 to make it a bit more challenging);

2 - look up the dimensions of the format on the Internet;

3 - go to doc rescale and enter those values.

Admittedly, it means adding doc formats and there are many to choose from (try finding that SRA3 format, for instance, in a printer setup - usually it means using the "custom" setting) so maybe a good way would be an ability to add custom formats which then could either show up in a selected format (pixels, cm or a new category "custom") only, or universal (translated across the spectrum of measurements).  This also requires that entry of such formats should support a variety of entry methods for the dimensions (pixels, mm etc).

The benefit of a "custom" approach is that it ensures you don't have to wade through lots of sizes you don't need (unless there is a system to manage the visibility of those options, but all of that gets complicated again) - you can still offer a list of preset formats to help creating such a custom format.

So, the process would be:

1 - (once) set up custom format and name it (let's stick with SRA3 for now) - also requires custom format manager;

2 - choose document resize, "custom" and select "SRA3" (possible option to add a custom format on the spot as well);

3 - choose either freeform or "fit/fill/original size with added blank space or crop off excess" scaling of existing content (although that can handled by scaling the canvas instead of the document - always have to think which one does what).

Unless, of course, you already have this hiding somewhere - I do keep finding new things every time I use the software :).

(by the way, is it just me or does the preview not like numbered items?  As a result, I decided not to use them in the text above).

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

It would be interesting if there was a way to scale up a document to a defined format (printer or whatever else demands the format).  This would mean making a choice of crop or adding blank space for existing content, but at present, any rescale to such a format means:

1- decide on format (say, A3 borderless, or SRA3 to make it a bit more challenging);

2 - look up the dimensions of the format on the Internet;

3 - go to doc rescale and enter those values.

Admittedly, it means adding doc formats and there are many to choose from (try finding that SRA3 format, for instance, in a printer setup - usually it means using the "custom" setting) so maybe a good way would be an ability to add custom formats which then could either show up in a selected format (pixels, cm or a new category "custom") only, or universal (translated across the spectrum of measurements).  This also requires that entry of such formats should support a variety of entry methods for the dimensions (pixels, mm etc).

The benefit of a "custom" approach is that it ensures you don't have to wade through lots of sizes you don't need (unless there is a system to manage the visibility of those options, but all of that gets complicated again) - you can still offer a list of preset formats to help creating such a custom format.

So, the process would be:

1 - (once) set up custom format and name it (let's stick with SRA3 for now) - also requires custom format manager;

2 - choose document resize, "custom" and select "SRA3" (possible option to add a custom format on the spot as well);

3 - choose either freeform or "fit/fill/original size with added blank space or crop off excess" scaling of existing content (although that can handled by scaling the canvas instead of the document - always have to think which one does what).

Unless, of course, you already have this hiding somewhere - I do keep finding new things every time I use the software :).

(by the way, is it just me or does the preview not like numbered items?  As a result, I decided not to use them in the text above).

Hi BatteriesInc, 

Does your printer accept SRA3 size paper? 

The reason that I ask is that when I use a printer driver for a printing device that has other sizes that are compatible with that printer, then these other sizes (such as SRA3) are available in the drop down menu. 

Generic printer drivers do not necessarily have SRA3 etc. 

Paul. 

It has the width to handle it (up to A3+, which is bigger) but it needs to be defined as a custom size and there is no way to define any non-standard sizes as borderless.

However, I noticed that AD and AP document sizes do not appear to be drawn from the printer driver.  For instance, the 4"x6" format of my printer does not appear, and any borderless A4 or A3 is also venturing onto alien territory.

I'll have to check what happens when I specify a custom format.  There appears to be some paper recycling coming up.. :P

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.