You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save as dialog permanently cause total crash :(

• Staff

Thank you for your feedback, you have reported this multiple times and reposting to a new thread unfortunately won't help. We also need a workflow/recipe that reproduces the issue on systems other than yours, as this allows our developers to debug the app at that point as that dialogue is provided by the OS.

Please update this thread with the following information.

Are you always saving locally or to an external drive/cloud storage?

Have you checked macOS for any crash reports for when this occurs to upload here, they may provide more information.

Hi @Lee D, in this specific case it happened saving to an external SSD. Samsung T7 on a MBA M1, connected to a Studio Display buy the displays original Thunderbolt 4 calble, the T7 connected by Samsung original USB-C to USB-C cable to one of the Studio Displays USB C ports, no USB hub used.

Please find the tiff attached, using it, I can reproduce it at any time.

1. Open the tiff
  2. Add a e.g. HSL live adjustment layer and drop the blues
  3. Click save
  4. Click Save as (for saving it as .afphoto)
  5. The Save dialog box opens, the "Loading" spinning wheel starts loading the folder last time used successfully.
  6. Wait a few seconds, the dialog box freezes forever. It stays even on top of Safari while typing this lines.
  7. It is necessary to Force quit AP
  8. Reproduction rate on my computer: 100%
  9. AP is the solely software on my Mac causing this problem, didn't test Designer and Publisher yet.
  10. There is no crash report generated by AP, so, I can't send one.
    image.thumb.jpeg.fe6c842d506c792b49f0d47b6d44b62f.jpeg
  11. MBA M1 with 16 GB RAM, 8 cores and 1 TB SSD. The lid is closed.
  12. About 160 GB free on the MBA SSD, 180 GB free on the external disk.
  13. No such issue with  any other program

R3RR6966-20230421-160750-Pano.tif

On 4/24/2023 at 11:04 AM, Lee D said:

Thank you for your feedback, you have reported this multiple times and reposting to a new thread unfortunately won't help. We also need a workflow/recipe that reproduces the issue on systems other than yours, as this allows our developers to debug the app at that point as that dialogue is provided by the OS.

Please update this thread with the following information.

Are you always saving locally or to an external drive/cloud storage?

Have you checked macOS for any crash reports for when this occurs to upload here, they may provide more information.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• Staff

Thank you for the file and your workflow, however on mine and a couple other systems here. The same workflow saves the file, loading/saving to desktop without any issues. See the screen recording attached to confirm, as this suggests something is unique to your system.

Have you tried saving to the local drive on your system instead of an external one?

Hi @Lee D, of course I tried. The problem: as soon I want to change the directory, the dialog box freezes AP totally. I already reinstalled the App but I am not sure if I removed really all files and hidden files. Used AppCleaner for removing it.

Please aware, I use the Save/Save as dialog box unfolded not like in your video. I start the process by pressing Cmd+S, there I click "Save as"

image.jpeg.d1160e9cb681ecfef765d3cd5f47b935.jpeg

Then I get the "Save as" dialog box (the unfolded one) and AP crashes by 95% of all cases. I rebooted right now and it worked exceptionally fine. But normally I have been working for a few hrs in LrC and send a TIFF to AP2 (because LrC of course does not support .afphoto, pls. see also (1) below).

I suspect a time out to cause the problem. It happens while that fan alike rotation thing is reading the current folder and building a file list of thousands of files in that folder. There are als many sidecar Adobe XMP files in that folder. As DAM I'm using LrC and save always the edits also to XMP files to be independent of the LrC database and compatible to Bridge.

(1) Besides: when will you team up with Capture One? Even the latest version can not handle and does not show .afphoto files. Or come up with an own DAM + RAW Developer tool like LrC and it's A.I. capabilities? The developer engine of AP2 is much better as the one of AP1 and the RAW embedding feature is also finally there - but lightyears behind LrC and C1.

22 hours ago, Lee D said:

Thank you for the file and your workflow, however on mine and a couple other systems here. The same workflow saves the file, loading/saving to desktop without any issues. See the screen recording attached to confirm, as this suggests something is unique to your system.

Have you tried saving to the local drive on your system instead of an external one?

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)