You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to maximize thumbnail contents in Layers panel

Minor suggestion (for all apps, presumably).

Right now, it appears that the size of the contents displayed in the Layer panel thumbnail depends on the size/orientation of the bounding box, rather than the size of the contents themselves. This can make objects appear to be different sizes when they're not, and doesn't make full use of the space available in the thumbnail display.

For example, create a perfect circle and the thumbnail will be filled with the circle edge-to-edge. Now rotate the circle 45 degrees and the thumbnail display shows a smaller circle, presumably about 70% of its full size.

So it might be nice, at least optionally, to scale the thumbnail to fit-to-contents rather than fit-to-bounding-box. When you're dealing with thumbnails this small, every little bit of detail helps.

There's no perfect way to create thumbnails that will make everybody happy because it depends on the nature of your work.

You might be interested in this thread from last year in which we discussed thumbnails.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

7 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

There's no perfect way to create thumbnails that will make everybody happy because it depends on the nature of your work.

You might be interested in this thread from last year in which we discussed thumbnails.

I tend to doubt there are many people who are happier to have their content scaled down smaller than the thumbnail square in order to fit blank areas due to a rotated bounding box. Can anyone think of a situation in which the current implementation is really helpful?

But in any case, I suggested it as an option, which would give users their preference (though perhaps not making developers themselves happy 😑)

Thanks for the link -- that thread seemed to reference a different situation, in which the aspect ratio of the content doesn't match the aspect ratio of the thumbnail. I don't have any issue with the way that's treated currently.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:03 AM, Corgi said:

Can anyone think of a situation in which the current implementation is really helpful?

The current implementation is definitely only "unfinished". Shrinking the preview according to the bounding box makes no sense (except perhaps for a simplified implementation*), because the bounding box has no meaning in the preview - it is not visible, it cannot be manipulated, so there is no reason to consider him in the preview at all.

*) This may be decisive from the point of view of rendering speed.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.