You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

search and custom keyboard shortcuts

Hey, in the preference panel, It would be cool that you could search for a behaviour and then add the shortcut. (Im not crazy, some programs do it like final cut pro X)

Aso it'd be cool that when we see a yellow exclamation point because of a shortcut conflict, you can click on it to see what the conflict is.

Here is the UI of FCPX

Let me know how you see it!

Thanks community!!

post-27873-0-04638200-1456577181_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

... Aso it'd be cool that when we see a yellow exclamation point because of a shortcut conflict, you can click on it to see what the conflict is.

I would very much like to see that feature added.

Alternately or in addition to that, I would like to see some way provided to output the complete current list of keyboard shortcuts to a text file that could be searched in a text app or word processor. It doesn't need to do any fancy text formatting; as long as the modifier keys are output as easily searchable text strings (like cmd instead of ⌘) & tabs or commas are included to separate the shortcut key equivalents & their names, that would be enough.

In fact, I would not mind if this was a separate little stand alone utility app. From what I can tell, all the needed info for this is in the shortcuts.affshortcuts file, formatted like an Apple plist file, so (I hope) it would be relatively straightforward for one of the developers familiar with its key/value structure to knock out something like this without spending too much time on it.

So what do you folks think about this? Would that be enough?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hello hugo bertrand,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Aso it'd be cool that when we see a yellow exclamation point because of a shortcut conflict, you can click on it to see what the conflict is.

Mouse-over the yellow exclamation icon for a few moments and a tooltip will appear telling you where's the conflict.

Mouse-over the yellow exclamation icon for a few moments and a tooltip will appear telling you where's the conflict.

Thanks! I never noticed that before.

However, I don't know what to make of this: in AD I had previously assigned a shortcut to the Break Curve action. So to test the tooltip thing I assigned the same shortcut to the Join Curve one. But no yellow triangle appeared. Is this because the two actions can't conflict?

post-3524-0-33006900-1457657614_thumb.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7