You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Combining adjustment layers (especially curves)

Maybe this question has been covered somewhere else but I could not find it. Is there a way to combine several curve adjustments made to a single image (jpeg) in order to improve the dynamic range (HDR effect) of that image? in other words, in one adjustment, I optimize shadow detail, while in another curve adjustment, I optimize highlight detail, etc. I know you can try to do that with a single curve but sometimes, if there are a lot of small adjustments, it is easier to create several curves to address different tonal areas. I would like to know if there is a way to combine the adjustments so they don't cancel each other out? Or if there is another technique that I can use to obtain the same result with a single image. Thanks.

Maybe this question has been covered somewhere else but I could not find it. Is there a way to combine several curve adjustments made to a single image (jpeg) in order to improve the dynamic range (HDR effect) of that image? in other words, in one adjustment, I optimize shadow detail, while in another curve adjustment, I optimize highlight detail, etc. I know you can try to do that with a single curve but sometimes, if there are a lot of small adjustments, it is easier to create several curves to address different tonal areas. I would like to know if there is a way to combine the adjustments so they don't cancel each other out? Or if there is another technique that I can use to obtain the same result with a single image. Thanks.

Hello AlecSpra,

no problem.

You can add as many adjustment layers as you want.

Either curves.

But they will effect all layers underneath. Also your prepared highlights. So it wouldn't be the best way.

It depends upon your intension.

One possibility could be:

Duplicate "cmd & J" the layer you will work on. Rename it for example "highlights".

Add your adjustment layer.

Drag it onto the layer (clipping mask) to effect only this layer.

Make your adjustments.

Make a composite snapshot by "shift & cmd & E" (or right click "combine underneath)  and rename it for example "shadows".

Add your adjustment layer, clip it and work on it like you want.

You can repeat this as often you want.

Tip: Every adjustment layer is a mask. So you can mask out, areas which you like to be uneffected.

Ciao Jack 

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Thanks for the tip Jack. You are right that by making an adjustment and then painting out the areas I do not want adjusted I can often get good results. What I am looking for is the best ways to improve the dynamic range of an image without resorting to external HDR plug-ins or software. I am not sure how making several snapshots would help achieve that result though? Maybe if Affinity eventually creates an HDR tool that would solve the problem. In the meantime . . .

Alec

Thanks for the tip Jack. You are right that by making an adjustment and then painting out the areas I do not want adjusted I can often get good results. What I am looking for is the best ways to improve the dynamic range of an image without resorting to external HDR plug-ins or software. I am not sure how making several snapshots would help achieve that result though? Maybe if Affinity eventually creates an HDR tool that would solve the problem. In the meantime . . .

Alec

The HDR is on the roadmap.

It will come definitively.

Affinity Photo - announced updates

:)

Ciao Jack 

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer