You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo reuse/duplicate filter groups/layers/sets

Hey all,

Hope you're well

Apologies in advance for the obscure title - not sure of the terminology to use ATM

I regularly apply filters to groups of photos when I'm colour matching; "Filters > Colours > Auto Levels / Contrast/Colours / White Balance" - all very common tasks for me

Is there a way of batching this state/style over all of my [open] files or a way to apply to each individually; reducing manual labour

I swear I managed to do this recently, but for the life of me can't work it out today

Hope to hear back

Kind thanks

To my best knowledge, you cannot assign filters to multiple files. There is no way to select multiple open pictures. What you can do is to add filters to one picture, then you select these filters, copy them into the clipboard and then you select the other pictures one by one and paste the stack of filters. This is quite fast, and you can individually adjust the filters afterwards. If you find a better way, please share it here.

Best regards

BlauerClaus

Hey,

Thanks for reply

Oh, that's a shame

How does one select/copy/paste [a stack of] filters?

Feel free to create a screencast ( http://quickcast.io/ )

Hope to hear back

Kind thanks

PS If anyone from Affinity reads this is there somewhere I can create a formal feature request for this issue?

This might work for you.  In Affinity Photo all the adjustments you mentioned are under the Adjustments layer.  I grouped all the adjustments you mentioned.  I opened a group of photos, which open as separate tabs in Affinity Photo.  I go to my master file, and copy the group containing all my adjustment layers.  I then select another photo by the tab, and CMD-V (paste) on that file.  The group with all the adjustment layers and settings used will paste into the layers of the new file.  I can go through each tab and paste those adjustments into new files.  

You don't have to group them together. I thought it would just be easier to manage.

I don't know the limit of photos you can open at once in Affinity Photo.  And it isn't something you would want to do for a large number of photos.  But I could see 10 to 20 as a viable range.

• 4 weeks later...

click on the adjustment/filter layers while holding down the cmd key, then press cmd-c.

load the picture where you want to paste them, and press cmd-v.

Hey,

Thanks for reply

Ahh, yes, I had discovered this a while ago, as per my original post, but I'm now trying to do the same with filters - can it be done?

Hope to hear back

Kind thanks

This might work for you.  In Affinity Photo all the adjustments you mentioned are under the Adjustments layer.  I grouped all the adjustments you mentioned.  I opened a group of photos, which open as separate tabs in Affinity Photo.  I go to my master file, and copy the group containing all my adjustment layers.  I then select another photo by the tab, and CMD-V (paste) on that file.  The group with all the adjustment layers and settings used will paste into the layers of the new file.  I can go through each tab and paste those adjustments into new files.  

You don't have to group them together. I thought it would just be easier to manage.

I don't know the limit of photos you can open at once in Affinity Photo.  And it isn't something you would want to do for a large number of photos.  But I could see 10 to 20 as a viable range.

Hey @crabtrem,

Thanks for reply

I'm looking for the "auto" filter features ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-oUmf4LFtExTkhUUzJZV1RHejQ), which don't appear to be available via the layer groupings

If I apply the auto filters I don't see their addition anywhere in the studio panels (e.g. layer grouping), so can't clone/manipulate them, which IMHO would be the logical thing to [be able to] do

Hope to hear back

Kind thanks

Yes, you can also copy/paste multiple filters at once. Select/click them in the Layers panel holding down the cmd key then copy/paste in the new document.

Hey MEB,

Thanks for reply

Currently having trouble getting any of the auto filters ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oUmf4LFtExTkhUUzJZV1RHejQ) to appear in my layers panel..?

Hope to hear back

Kind thanks

The Auto filters are destructive and not available as Live filters. That's why they don't appear in the Layers panel. There's no way to copy/paste those to another document.

Only Filers available through the menu Layer -> New Live Filter Layer will appear as layers in the Layers panel.

Okay, thanks for resolution

Can you let me know where I can create a feature request for this?

Kind thanks

• 1 year later...

In order for the copy and paste multiple adjustment layers to work accurately, doesn't the new image you want to apply the adjustments to have to be the same size that you copied the adjustments from..?

(I tried doing it from a relatively small image to a much bigger image and the adjustments were confined to a small area of the new image...)

Artist / Affinity enthusiast   Website | Instagram

In order for the copy and paste multiple adjustment layers to work accurately, doesn't the new image you want to apply the adjustments to have to be the same size that you copied the adjustments from..?

(I tried doing it from a relatively small image to a much bigger image and the adjustments were confined to a small area of the new image...)

^^ Any thoughts, please? ^^

maybe i don't catch the point, but i'd say that adjustment layers are not tied to the size of the picture.

i just created a new document and painted on it, then applied a white balance adjustment layer. then i created a second, much bigger, document and painted all over it. than i copied the adjustment layer of the first document and pasted it over the second image, and the white balance adjustment was applied to the whole bigger image.

this appears to be true even if you paint a mask in the adjustment layer before copying it; however the mask retains its original size and covers only a portion of the bigger image (while the adjustment is still applied globally).

take care,

stefano

Thanks, barninga, for that clarification. Yes, it's the mask that retains its size. I imagine you could copy and paste the adjustment layers along with the mask, then just adjust the size of the mask to fit the new image...

I just tried it. It worked perfectly!

Thanks, again.