You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi evtonic3

Using the paint brush select Protect Alpha from the context toolbar. When checked, you are not able to paint on the current layer's transparent regions. 

I hope this helps..

J

Thanks for that info. But maybe you can steer me right. In PS I can lock the transparency of the layer by clicking the little grid transparency icon and then I could quickly do a cmd+del to fill the pixels of the layer instantly. This is the functionality I am looking for.

Thanks for that info. But maybe you can steer me right. In PS I can lock the transparency of the layer by clicking the little grid transparency icon and then I could quickly do a cmd+del to fill the pixels of the layer instantly. This is the functionality I am looking for.

Me too!! I'm looking for cmd+del or option del (fill with background color) as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm looking for this too - trying to do exactly what JimmyJack describes.

I ended up doing:

• ⌘-click on the layer to select
  • ⌘-shift-N to make a new layer
  • shift-F5 to fill

Not ideal but gets the job done. 

Transparency lock is the first Photoshop feature I've found that seems really missing in Affinity without a different/better way to do it... maybe there's a better way to do it that we're all missing?

Hi squarecandy,

I think there needs to be one last step in your process, yes?

• Drag the new shift-F5 fill layer to the child position of the layer we want to preserve transparency on.

On the one hand a simple check box would be sooooo much simpler.

But on the other.... this way is non destructive.

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, plabill said:

if I click Protect Alpha, I can't paint anymore

Then simply uncheck it again if you're painting on a blank pixel layer – which is logically fully transparent upon creation.
A brush only paints on the pixel layer that is selected in the Layers panel. All others remain unaffected anyway.

In other words, Protect Alpha is a Brush tool attribute, not a layer attribute.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

41 minutes ago, plabill said:

Is there a different tool then that will lock the layer transparent pixels?

You can lock a layer against accidental click-through by grouping it with itself and locking the group. The child pixel layer still remains fully editable if you select it directly in the Layers panel.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2