You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create new document from the clipboard (with CTRL+V when no document is open)

Currently to create a new document using the contents of the clipboard, one has to press CTRL+Alt+Shift+N. While this shortcut is functional, it is quite long and can be cumbersome to use. Additionally changing this shortcut may result in overriding another important function.

I would like to propose a more convenient method for creating new documents from the clipboard. I suggest that when no documents are currently active, pressing CTRL+V should directly create a new document using the clipboard contents. This would make the process more intuitive and easier to perform.

Example

1. Copy image to clipboard.
  2. Open Affinity Designer/Publisher/Photo.
  3. Press CTRL+V.

46 minutes ago, earl_grey said:

CTRL+Alt+Shift+N. While this shortcut is functional, it is quite long and can be cumbersome to use.

It is cumbersome to use. I never understand
how somebody could offer such a Shortcut.

My patience already ends when i should use two
control keys. E.g. Shift+Alt+Anykey.

So, any solution that will reduce the keys
is a good one to me.

Having to remember all of the keyboard shortcuts, even on the iPad, is one of the things that drives me absolutely nuts with the Affinity suite. Not everybody is a ‘power user’ and not everybody is going to learn all of the necessary shortcuts.

19 minutes ago, BryanR said:

Having to remember all of the keyboard shortcuts, even on the iPad, is one of the things that drives me absolutely nuts with the Affinity suite. Not everybody is a ‘power user’ and not everybody is going to learn all of the necessary shortcuts.

In that case, can't you just use the menu?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, BryanR said:

Not necessarily, especially on the iPad. The shortcut key circle thingy doesn’t always have menu equivalents.

Example?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, BryanR said:

Any modifier with a tool.

Sorry; still not understanding.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry; still not understanding.

Example: Shift+Drag with the paintbrush tool to "continue last stroke" - the things that show up on the status bar that is visible along the bottom of the window on the desktop but requires you to press the "?" box in the lower-right corner to see them on the iPad (which is sensible given the reduction in screen real-estate).