You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to change how text flows into columns?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there's a way to choose how text flows into columns? Something like the Data Merge Layout Tool, where you can select the Layout Order: 

image.png.2bba3808719da955c20ffb409f98dc8f.pngOR image.png.f8087cd2d5775be0ca34a14226e3ed95.png

The closest I've found is to use the 'Balance text in columns' option, but that gives questionable results sometimes (eg putting the last letter of a word into the next column, rather than putting the whole word into that column, which would actually make the columns balanced). Other than that, I haven't found a way to do it, does anyone know if there's another way?

Many thanks!

In a text frame with two columns the text will always flow as shown in your right picture: it fills the left column first then switches to the second column.

In Data Merge every single set of data is placed within one cell. What according item do you expect to make the text switch from the left to the right column and then back to the left, as shown in your picture on the left?

To achieve a text flow like in the left picture you would use two separate text frames, each with two columns, and additionally activate text flow from the upper to the lower frame. You can force a column break with the according special character (menu Text > Insert > Breaks > Column Break).

By the way: you also can use the Data Merge Tool for your layout without fusing the data import or generating a data merged document.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi @thomaso

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your question: 

What according item do you expect to make the text switch from the left to the right column and then back to the left, as shown in your picture on the left?

I was actually wanting to use the text flow in a TOC, so that it flows across and then down (as in the left image). Obviously, as it's a TOC, it's limited as to what adjustments you can make, but as columns is an option, I wondered if I was perhaps missing a setting somewhere. 

Your comment (below) was interesting - I didn't know you could use the Data Merge Tool without actually data merging. That might be something I could look into? Can you link to any further articles or threads on it? It might not work for a TOC, but it might prove useful for something else :)

By the way: you also can use the Data Merge Tool for your layout without fusing the data import or generating a data merged document.

3 hours ago, Meanderling said:

so that it flows across and then down (as in the left image).

What elements exactly do you want to flow from left to right: What element would be in the left column and what would cause the switch to the right column (if it is not the bottom end of a column, like in your right picture). However, there is no way to make text flow from a right column to a left column. Or do you understand "column" different than the column options in the Text Frame panel?

3 hours ago, Meanderling said:

as it's a TOC, it's limited as to what adjustments you can make, but as columns is an option,

Where do you see columns as an option for a TOC? Can you show a screenshot? Or can you show a simulated layout of what you want to happen and look like? Currently I have no clear idea what you want to achieve, and thus I can't recommend a link or article nor can I answer whether the Data Merge Tool might be something you could look into, respectively of cause you could look into it, for instance in the Affinity Help or with a search within the forum, the Affinity Spotlight articles or the internet.

In answer to your questions, the image below is essentially what I'm trying to achieve: 

image.png.c1de8bdb0e2350dd8d6b3b4295830171.png

The return at the end of the TOC entry would ideally cause the switch to the right column.

The Columns option is not an option within TOC specifically, it's from the options menu applied to the text frame that holds the TOC - the below shows the menu item when the text frame is selected: 

image.png.fefce46cee1a5ee4f8cabec47fe7c7a1.png

An option to change the text flow within columns, as is possible with the Data Merge Tool (see top image), would be ideal. I've tried to force the behaviour by manually adding different breaks from the Special Characters menu, to both the source text and within the TOC itself, but to no avail. As far as I can tell, the only way to achieve my desired result is to add each row as a separate TOC - not the end of the world, but as there are so many options in AP, I wondered if I simply missed it...

With regard to using the Data Merge Tool "without fusing the data import or generating a data merged document" - I doubt it's something that could be used here, but as I haven't come across this functionality before, I thought it might be worth looking into, mainly for reference sake. If I can't achieve something, I do tend to do fairly extensive research to find an answer, but in this case, I don't think there is a simple solution (other than what I've mentioned).

Thanks for stepping in and trying to help though.

I guess you could try copying the generated ToC as text and paste it into a Spreadsheet application hoping for the Page numbers to be in the second column and then use that to do a merge document.

Or you could delete New paragraph Returns from the 1st and 2nd entries replacing them with tabs and use just one text frame.

1897228516_ScreenShot2023-04-02at9_44_13AM.png.4560aca07cf2a3851e27e63d6df28916.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @Old Bruce,

I don't need page numbers, so that's not an issue. 

Or you could delete New paragraph Returns from the 1st and 2nd entries replacing them with tabs and use just one text frame.

Manually replacing the Returns doesn't change how the text flows, it will still flow top to bottom, then across. Also, any manual changes you make to the TOC will be lost each time it's updated. 

Actually, I just figured out a slightly better solution than to create individual TOCs, and that's to use the AutoFlow feature and just drag/draw the next text row in. That's a win in my book, but being able to control the text flow in columns would be pretty handy (who knows, maybe a future update?). 

In addition to @Old Bruce's hints I want to mention once more the option of separate text frames, linked by text flow. With an according leading you don't need extra break characters. Creating multiple copies of one 3-column frame is quite quick with the power duplicate feature. Then you just need to link the frames via 2 clicks per frame. – Like so:

955705042_columntextflow.jpg.5b8d4a86ad931b1cada2dda2452c9b0a.jpg