You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a detailed list anywhere of what gets reset when the various options to clear user data are used? Some seem obvious, others not so much.

Related, what if any are the differences between using the startup clear options & the similarly named ones in the Preferences > Miscellaneous panel?

Also, which user preferences, if any, are stored in plist files that could be examined or copied to restore them if clearing them does not improve anything, & where are they stored?

The reason I ask is the often suggested solution of clearing everything to fix some issue requires tediously resetting a lot of items.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Nothing? Am I the only one interested in this?  :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

+1

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

If memory serves, custom brushes and swatches do get wiped out with the "Select All" option, but I'm not sure which of the checkboxes do that. There is a "Reset Brushes" checkbox, which may be what kills the custom brushes, but I have no idea what kills the swatches.

For what it is worth, there is a "Reset Macro Library" checkbox, which I guess won't do anything until the Macro persona goes live, but who knows?

Affinity Photo 

I just realised that I lost all my brushes and shortcuts. :(
I'm really interested to know what boxes I need/don't need to tick to reset the app. Any good advise? 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

I hope this helps :)

The majority of the settings found in the Clear User Data window can be found in: 

For Mac:

/Users/{your username}/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/

For Windows:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\

Clear User Defaults
This will clear any custom settings made within the Preferences panel. It will also reset any changes made to the Toolbar, Tools and Context Toolbar back to their default settings. This option is also available in Preferences > Misc > Reset User Defaults.

Don’t Restore Windows and Documents
This is normally used to stop the app from trying to restore a previous document that closed unexpectedly.

Reset Studio
This resets all panels in the Studio back to their default positions. This is the same as View > Studio > Reset

Reset Object Styles
This will delete any custom styles added to the Styles Panel. This option is also available in Preferences > Misc > Reset Object Styles

These settings are stored in objectstyles.propcol and can also be exported from Styles Panel.

Reset File Exports
This will delete any custom File Export presets made in File > Export and the Export Persona.

These settings are stored in: file_export_options.dat  If you have no custom presets this file will not exist )

Reset Snapping Options Presets
This will delete any custom presets made within Snapping.

These settings are stored in: snapping_options.dat  If you have no custom presets this file will not exist )

Reset Fills
This will delete any Application Palettes you've added to the Swatches Panel. It will also delete any colours added to the default palettes such as Grey, Colours & Gradients. This option is also available in Preferences > Misc > Reset Fills.

These settings are stored in fills.propcol and can be exported from the Swatches Panel

Reset Brushes
This will delete any brushes imported into the app and will reset all brushes within the app back to their default settings. This option is also available in Preferences > Misc > Reset Brushes.

These settings are stored in raster_brushes.propcol and can be exported from the Brushes Panel

Reset Font Replacements
This will delete font replacements specified when opening files that contain fonts that are not installed. Replacement fonts are automatically selected the next time you open a file missing the same font.

These settings are stored in: font_map.dat  If you have no font replacements this file will not exist )

Please note: This is different from Preferences > Misc > Reset Fonts. This option forces Affinity to Reload/Repopulate fonts listed in the app. This can be useful when using 3rd Party apps to load fonts.

Reset Adjustments
This will delete any custom presets found in the Adjustment Panel. These are created from Adjustments layers. 

These settings are stored in: adjustments.propcol

Reset Macro Library
This will delete custom Macros.

These settings are stored in: macros.propcol

Reset Develop Presets
This will delete any custom presets saved in the Basic, Lens, Details, Tones and Overlays Panels in the Develop Persona.

These settings are stored in: develop.propcol

Reset Crop Tool Presets
This will delete any custom presets saved within the Crop Tool.

These settings are stored in: croppresets.propcol

Reset Keyboard Shortcuts
This will delete any custom keyboard shortcuts. You will need to export these by going to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Save before resetting.

Leigh, I can't thank you enough for this! It is really helpful.  :D

In particular, knowing the paths to the various propcol files & what they store will come in very handy for those times when I reset something I do not want to lose. I have experimented a bit restoring a few of them from Time Machine backups. So far, that works very well as an "undo" & lets me see fairly easily if an older version is what caused a problem.

Affinity Photo