You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There are a couple of problems with endnotes which have been highlighted before, but haven't been fixed.

When a docx file with endnotes is placed in Publisher, the endnotes come in with the Body style, and also the endnote number (superscript) style for all the endnote text. This does not happen when the file is pasted. Please make a placed file behave the same as a pasted file. With a placed file it is impossible to get rid of the superscript without deleting all italic and other styles.

Also, When a file is placed, the main text is on page one and the endnotes are on page two. If I click for the main text to auto run on, the main text will just run on top of the notes. Can this be fixed? Can the main text create its own series of pages BEFORE the start of the endnotes?

On 3/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, M Black said:

When a docx file with endnotes is placed in Publisher, the endnotes come in with the Body style, and also the endnote number (superscript) style for all the endnote text. This does not happen when the file is pasted. Please make a placed file behave the same as a pasted file. With a placed file it is impossible to get rid of the superscript without deleting all italic and other styles.

I know we've discussed this issue several times in the forum but I searched it just now and couldn't find a thread in which Serif verified the issue and stated that it had been logged, so it's good that you brought it up again.

For Serif: I did a quick test and found the following with this test doc. Test.docx

• The "Endnote Reference" character style was imported correctly and correctly applied to the references in the main text. However, the numbering format was lost. Below is a screenshot of Word vs. Publisher.
    image.png.cab273b405382e7604bbc799b5b675fb.png   image.png.f85d73445418ab5ccdc1153bf03e1f7e.png
  • The "Endnote Reference" character style was not applied to the references in the endnotes - they are formatted as No Style/No Style with some of the attributes of "Endnote Text" applied to them.
  • The "Endnote Text" character style used to format the endnotes in Word was  not imported and the endnotes in Publisher were formatted with the "Endnote Reference" style that should have been applied to the reference to their left. But some of the attributes defined for Endnote Text were applied on top of Endnote Reference, but not all of them. For example, font family was applied over Endnote Reference but not font size or alignment.
    image.png.468445bf6f30e64015d8fd8ab8025949.png   image.png.f58955edb8d8702d49a7eda3337a32e3.png
On 3/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, M Black said:

Also, When a file is placed, the main text is on page one and the endnotes are on page two. If I click for the main text to auto run on, the main text will just run on top of the notes. Can this be fixed? Can the main text create its own series of pages BEFORE the start of the endnotes?

I believe this bug has also flown under the radar and may not be logged. Here's the original report:

This happens when you place the Word document into a master frame. If you place it into a non-master frame it will work correctly but of course we should be using master frames.

There are some workarounds you can use. After placing the Word document, go to the page with the endnote frame and insert a new page (or 2-page spread for facing pages) before that page. Then drag the endnote frame to the new page or spread. Then drag the new page or spread to the end of the document.

An easier workaround is to create enough pages with linked frames sufficient to hold all of the Word text. Then place the Word document into the first frame and Publisher will create the endnote frame on a new page after all of those blank pages. Delete the pages you created that aren't needed.

An even easier workaround is to switch the endnotes to footnotes in Word, place it into Publisher and then convert the footnotes back to endnotes.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I know there are workarounds for the endnote pagination problem. I have been creating lots of extra pages for the text, but of course if I don't create enough pages I still have the problem of the endnotes disappearing behind the text.

But this is not good enough. It should just work properly in the first place.

And there is no workaround I can find for the footnote/endnote style problem in placed files. If you have a single file of 500 pages, you really don't want to have to paste it.

• Staff

Hi M Black,

Thank you for your issue. I can reproduce these both (thanks MikeTO for the demo file - much appreciated). I'll get these both logged.

With regards to a work around for the auto flow text issue. Does switching the Note Position to End of Story and then back to Shared document frame work for you? I found that automatically places the text on the last page, without little interference! 

That does seem to work in that changing the position to End of Story, then running the main text on, and changing the Notes back to Shared Document puts the notes at the end.

What I found out in doing this though (with a document with several pages of notes) is that if I have End of Story as the position, I can't run the notes text on.