You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am still struggling with SVG export.  Not sure why.  I am mostly designing in AD and wanting to export/import into Silhouette Studio Designer Edition (digital cutting software.)  Although I have the issue in SSDE, I also have it in Graphic/iDraw and inkscape, so I don't think it's on Silhouette's end.

I am never getting the original size of the design, and often the design is not even in correct proportion (stretched one way or the other.)

I finally created a 3" square to export and try different settings.  No matter what I settings I try, I either end up with a square that is 12.5", or one that is 1.389".   If I choose to export the entire document instead of just the square, I get a rectangle instead.  

If I could get the exact sizes it would really be wonderful!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

• Staff

Sounds like you're exporting your 3" square at 300 dpi. Select the square and go to File > Export, select SVG then Selection without background from Area and set 72 in DPI and export. You should now get the correct dimensions when opened into Graphic or SSDE.

Wow - THANKS!!!  That will help immensely with my vinyl cutting!! (though I am a little perplexed why the DPI would effect the size, but maybe I'm thinking in terms of printing and not necessarily vector attributes?)  

I do have another question now though regarding exporting an image within the vector shape.  If I export for web, using the 72 dpi, then the SVG opens as one would expect in Graphic, but in SSDE it opens without the image inside.  If I save the SVG that I opened in Graphic, it will open ok in SSDE.  Is there some setting that I am not choosing right that Graphic is correcting for me?

Not sure why I'm so confused on this.  But I would love to be able to create the design in AD (which is SO much better than SSDE) and then open the design in the cutting software and cut it.  (print and cut feature)

Thanks again in advance!!!!  I really appreciate the help.  Love the software, just want to be able to use it to the fullest that I'm pretty sure I should be able to!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I downloaded Silhouette Studio Basic Edition to test but it doesn't support .SVG files. I will try and get the Digital Edition to see what could be happening. Have you tried exporting from Affinity as .PDF instead of .SVG to see if that works any better SSDE?

Here's the results using PDF.  1 -Screen shot of AD, selection for export.  2- as the PDF exports into SSDE.   3 - the cut lines as seen by SSDE  4 - how it needs to be, including the correction of the layer of the white circle which gets moved behind the black one.

AI and CorelDRAW have plugins for the Silhouette cutter, and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to cut directly from AD.  However, I realize this is asking for the moon.  :-)

Second choice would be to figure out how to use either SVG or PDF exports.  SSDE is better than most Mac Graphics programs available, quite honestly.  BUT not close to AD.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is not an issue with AD, it is how to use the SIL-Software and how this software acts ;-)

you have to activate/deactivate the cutting lines

happy birthday:

deactivate all cutting lines

draw another circle (or make an offset with 0,00 distance) , same size of the outer circle -> activate cutting line

black ring:

deactivate all cutting lines

draw another circle, same size of the outer circle -> activate cutting line

other two objects:

activate cutting lines

you can try "cut edge", but it is not every time the right choice

check the user´s manual at the help-menu to get some more informations (e.g. advanced cutting settings -> cut by line color)

MacOS Big Sur AD + AP + APub

I can understand that all vectors are either set as cut lines (or not) and changes will need to be made in the cutting software.

What doesn't seem right is that parts disappear when exported to SVG (see above example and notice the white circle is missing in the SVG) 

Also, some items that are rasterized with transparent backgrounds (png) that are included in the SVG end up with a rectangle cutting line.

I have had some better success exporting to PDF.  

As far as recreating the shapes, it would work great if it is a circle, rectangle, etc.  but what about a vectorized shape that isn't one of those?  (for example, an arrow or heart that would not match up identically?)

I am still working on this process and would love to hear from anyone (whether using Silhouette or other cutter) who has had any success in this.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.