You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a Style in Affinity Designer

Hi, looking to create a style, or a couple of styles, to simulate roofing textures in Affinity Designer. Starting with how to create a style at all seems like a good start. Getting specific about creating say a slate roof look, a cedar shake roof, or a tin roof style would be most helpful.

Note, the Dream Organic styles posted in Resources are terrific. Thanks in advance - Timber

• Staff

Hi Timber,

To save a style select the with the style you wish to save, then click Panel Preferences > Add Style from Selection. You can also right click an object and select Create Style. You may want to create a new category for your styles first, to do this click the Panel Preferences icon > Add Styles Category.

Just in case, the Panel Preferences icon is on the right hand side of the Styles tab.

I think what I'm unclear on is how to create a repeating pattern to simulate texture, i.e. shingles. I can create a basic style like a color, embossed, line specs, etc. but to emulate say the wood, or leather as in Dream Styles Organics, how is that done?

Also, I don't see a "remove any/all applied Styles" to remove styles if in trying them you don't find one that works. One's only recourse seems to back-step with multiple undos. It'd be nice to have a "remove styles".

– Timber

Hi Lee, I'm not talking about deleting a style, but removing a style applied to an object. Removing all styles applied to an object. Hence the undo's to get back to before the style was applied. I did see the delete style in the menus, but thanks for pointing that out.

Timber, if you don't mind having pixels in it the easiest way I know of would be to use a Gradient and select bitmap.  In the attached I used a drawing of a leaf I'd made.  I cropped it tightly, exported it as a jpg then used the gradient and adjusted it for the size, aspect ratio and angle.

With shingles the trick is to crop it so that exactly one segment is in the picture.

Leafsheet.afdesign

post-2932-0-57369900-1456347267_thumb.jpg

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 1 year later...

Hi, jmca62

Have you looked at the styles panel after using the command "Edit/Create Style." I've alway had a new style from the selected object. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 years later...
On 2/15/2018 at 9:11 AM, jmca62 said:

I have tried to create styles by using 'create style' while indicating what it is I would like to make a style of but nothing ever happens. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've had a similar thing happen. 25% of the time I can create a new style, and 75% of the time nothing happens. I've noticed that if my styles are too similar (such as same color stroke and fill but different stroke widths) it fails to create a new style.

• 3 months later...

From what little I’ve picked up so far, make certain you have the specific layer you are trying to create a style from selected. I was grabbing PS styles and kept either not getting a style or repeated ones, because of the layer I was, or wasn’t, on.