You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inconsistent system colors between AD and other apps

I'm having trouble maintaining consistent color between Affinity Designer and other apps, like Hype. What I have done is I create a system palette (Apple OS) in AD, which I then access in Hype. In theory these should be the same, but there is a difference.

I get completely different HEX values for system palettes created in AD, but viewed in Hype. 

I am wondering if I could make a setting change in the "Colour Profiles" preferences. Would this fix my problem? I'm attaching a screenshot showing my settings. (I believe they are all defaults.)

[NOTE: I cannot upload the screenshot. When I try to attach a file here it says "Upload Skipped (Error IO). This happens even after a refresh.]

Leigh, thank you for that little tidbit about the color profile Apple's Color Picker uses. It is one of the things I have wondered about from time to time, but did not know who to ask.

These forums are a great educational resource for me, not just for Affinity stuff but also for miscellaneous things like this.  :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

First, for uncle808us, you can access that cog in several apps. I believe that screenshot was taken in Textedit. Just select a color for your font and find the appropriate tab. I'm attaching a screenshot called "textedit." (Nice to see uploads working today!)

Second, thank you Leigh for your feedback. This is the best help I've received so far on this issue. Unfortunately it still does not solve my problem.

I have attached four consecutive screenshots showing my process in the Hype color picker. The important thing to notice is that the hex value in the bottom field is the same when you switch to different tabs. However, there is only one tab (the third from the left) that can access my custom palette created in Affinity Designer. (See 1.png) However, that menu does not allow me to change the color space. If I switch to tab #2 (2.png) then I can access the different color spaces from the cog menu (3.png). While you're there, you can notice there are TWO hex value fields. This is important. The bottom one is how the picker is interpreting the swatches, based on the color space. When you change the color space IT WILL NOT CHANGE THE HEX VALUE AT THE BOTTOM, but it will adjust it in the smaller field above it. (4.png)

Obviously this does not provide a sustainable workflow. I wish I could change a setting in Hype to force the color space to whatever it was in AD.

Also, if you're in a custom palette, then switch over to the second tab and it drastically changes your color, make sure it is set to the right mode (likely RGB instead of Greyscale or something else). Once to set that correctly, then you can go back to your custom palette, choose the color again, then go BACK to tab #2 and see the sliders for that color. 

There must be a better way to import colors from AD to Hype seamlessly. I finally gave up and recreated all 50+ swatches in Hype.

post-14071-0-74078700-1456507107_thumb.png

post-14071-0-94103500-1456507109_thumb.png

post-14071-0-68816900-1456507112_thumb.png

post-14071-0-45824300-1456507115_thumb.png

post-14071-0-03224300-1456507118_thumb.png

I am having a lot of trouble understanding what your problem is. Color palettes can only be accessed from the Color Palettes tab of the Apple Color Picker (the third tab from the left) but that is expected -- it is why that tab is called the Color Palettes tab. The Color Sliders tab (second from the left) has nothing to do with picking colors from a palette, just from setting them with the sliders, so there is no reason to, nor way to, use it to pick colors from any palette.

What the Color Palette does allow you to do is change the color profile (not space) of the document, & of course this will change the value of any colors based on that profile.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7