You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V1 + V2 installed - Downsides of V2 or should I keep both installed?

Hi,

On my PC (Windows) I've got V1.x and V2.x installed.

I'm looking for reasons to keep V1 installed - Are there any downsides of V2?

(Incompatibility between V1 and V2 files are known, this is not critical for my workflow)

Please help me out :)
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity - why do you want/need to uninstall V1? Saving disk space?

P.S. If you don't need V1 (you haven't run it in a quarter of a year), then feel free to uninstall it, because you can install it again if necessary.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Just out of curiosity - why do you want/need to uninstall V1? Saving disk space?

I'll ask the same question. 

I have no compelling reason to uninstall V1, but I have found it useful to refer to V1 on several occasions in the past several months. 

For instance, I just used APhoto1 to relearn something I had figured out 3 years ago but haven't had need for since.

I wanted to make an action sequence out of a stacked photo sequence as I had done three years ago. I thought it would be trivial given that I had done it previously. I was surprised when the moving subject in my stack of photos was not visible in the stacked image in APhoto2. What was I forgetting? 

I had forgotten the crucial step of specifying the mode for combining the stacked images. The APhoto2 UI was not helpful to me whereas the APhoto1 UI was. Or perhaps if I had never used APhoto1 I would not have had this simple problem. 

In APhoto2, the secret is to click on the little squiggle under the layer name. I just didn't see it or realize what it was because it is in a place where layer info is displayed. Clickable options like visibility are normally on the far right side of the layer.

image.png.52faaa49229468802d286640fb1a01ae.png  APhoto2

To refresh my memory, I used APhoto1 to open my project from three years ago. Immediately I saw the clickable icon on the right as shown below. It was missing in APhoto2. But then I realized it had been moved to what for me is a less obvious location under the layer name on the left side of the layer. I had not expected to find clickables in the area where layer information is normally displayed.

image.png.4eb6f3a5a42d613ec61e45e9e6aade4e.png  APhoto1

Trivial and stupid on my part perhaps.

On realizing the change in icons I said, "Oh, of course."  But it was frustrating to suffer from gratuitous rearrangements of clickables on the layer display. Perhaps there are principles of UI design that called for this change. Perhaps most people would not have been confused as I was.

My only point is that having both versions available for comparison made things clear to me immediately. I have found it useful to refer to APhoto1 on several occasions, and I have found no reason to uninstall it from my 1TB SSD where my programs are installed.

I'll take this opportunity to emphasize the very robust stacking capabilities of Affinity Photo that allow you to create action sequences from hand-held panned photos. For details, see my post at 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/114815-create-an-action-sequence-by-stacking-panned-photos/

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060