You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RESOLVED | Another "Crashes all the time" Topic

UPDATE/Solution:  Hey, folks. I've managed to resolve my issue. While I'm still looking into this further, the culprit seems to be a single font. I use FontBase to help organize and curate my many fonts by project and it seems that in loading a particular project collection - which had previously worked without issue - triggered the never ending crash cycle. As I had already cleared the cache and uninstalled/reinstalled the software multiple times - and the font hadn't been an issue before - I never thought of disabling FontBase. 

The font in question is Ellen Luff's Hackney. The font comes in both OTF and TTF flavours, with the latter being vector and the former SVG. It is the SVG OTF version that was causing the repeating crash. I have confirmed that this is the culprit behind my woes and am able to trigger the issue by toggling the OTF font on/off. I thank you all for having read my lengthy post and hope that this adds one more piece to the potential puzzle of future problem-solvers.  

CRASH DETAILS In the event another user should find themselves in a circumstance that sounds familiar.

---- RePost from Franny49 Topic ----

Yesterday Affinity Designer 2 unexpectedly crashed while working on a project. I've had the odd crash, but this was seemingly out of the blue. I started the program again and shortly after loading the project it crashed again. So, I followed the instructions provided:

- Disabled openCL - crashed.
- Cleared all user data - still crashed.
- Uninstall, cleared user files and appdata and reinstalled after a restart - still crashed.
- Rolled back last Windows update - crasheroo!
- Got desperate and updated to Windows 11 - crash-test-dummy... 

"Crash" Behaviour:
The app crash is not dependent on any particular operation/execution and can be repeated/reproduced with every launch. There appears to be some variable to the runtime stability, but it doesn't appear to be related to any particular action. Even if you don't interact with the program at all after launch it will still crash. Sometimes its 10 seconds after launch - other times its been as much as a minute. Either way, it crashes. There are a couple noticeable stutters exhibited prior to the program locking-up and subsequently crashing. 

I'm hoping the screen record helps to some degree for diagnostic purposes. No crash report has been produced. I'm using a Surface Book 3 with 32gb ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI - now operating on Windows 11 (sigh).

Other Trial & Error Details:
- Tried to launch Photo 2 and Publisher 2 (2.0.4) - also same results.
- Tried Designer 1 (last updated version) - crashes.
- Tried Designer 2 Beta (latest build) - crashes.
- Tried launching software with Surface Book screen dethatched from base (uses internal Intel Iris GPU when separated) - Johnny Crash.

I'm really at a lose here, folks. I've used Affinity for several years now and truly love it. But this is a problem that I don't know how to resolve and am desperate (clearly - Windows 11 desperate). 

If anyone has any help or suggestions - please share. I'll try anything. My only other thought is a compete computer reformat. That's far from ideal, but if I knew it would work, I'd do it now. 

Thank you in advance.

Edited by TyGuy
Issue resolved - passing information on in the event it aids another.