You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grain/Noise effect

• Staff

Hi,

Is there a chance to add Grain to effects? I think about something like diffuse layer mode (it would be great too) but more customizable (i.e. size, density, shape, regularity etc.)

Best,

Greg

What effect would you like to add grain to? Effect like shadows and glows can have noise added to their colours in the LayerFx UI.

Have to say the "Noise" options are buried DEEEEP in the interface and only appear once you choose a colour.

They also disappear once you choose another colour - which is annoying when you have to drag that slider each time you test a new colour.  

"Bug" or "Question"?

• Staff

Have to say the "Noise" options are buried DEEEEP in the interface and only appear once you choose a colour.

They also disappear once you choose another colour - which is annoying when you have to drag that slider each time you test a new colour.

"Bug" or "Question"?

The thing is you can adjust the amount of noise for each colour so not sure where else it could go. Have you tried a gradient and adjust the noise at different nodes? A quick way to adjust noise on normal (not in LayerFx) colour is by clicking the button next to the opacity slider under the colour wheel.

If you have a better idea where it should go and keep the same flexibility then we will listen.

Thanks - but can't see how to add noise without adding and FX layer?????

If I'm working in CMYK/RGB I'm not seeing a colour wheel displayed - just sliders and the spectrum bar with Opacity on it's own below that.

What am I missing?

S

Why not just add the noise slider to the colour palette (the one next to the swatch palette -- or are those "pages" on your side of the pond?). And in the palette/page menu there could be a menu item for "Advanced Options" so that when/if other things are added, like grain/noise size, etc it'll be shown/hidden according to the desires of the user. The noise setting would be the same as the one in the colour drop-down in the tool settings area, i.e. linked with, so a change on one would change the other. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• Staff

Why not just add the noise slider to the colour palette (the one next to the swatch palette -- or are those "pages" on your side of the pond?). And in the palette/page menu there could be a menu item for "Advanced Options" so that when/if other things are added, like grain/noise size, etc it'll be shown/hidden according to the desires of the user. The noise setting would be the same as the one in the colour drop-down in the tool settings area, i.e. linked with, so a change on one would change the other. 

We do have noise on the colour panel. You can switch between opacity and noise by clicking the button under the label. We didn't want to show two sliders as it looks bad and takes up too much room.

We only have noise at the moment. You could always add a pixel layer inside your shape and paint on it with a grainy brush.

Yes, I can and it is great solution. But sometimes it will be easier to add the same (I mean consistent) effect (or change advanced options like CartoonMike suggests) to multiple objects at once.

I think it will be great addition for some users (illustrators i.e.) and something you can't find in AI.

The Opacity/Noise toggle is described in the Help files, under the Colour palette description.

The help files are the best I've read, better than some manuals too. The writer(s) did a very good job on them. Very appreciated.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• Staff

The problem is we are having multiple conversations in the same thread so I will have another go at explaining.

So, you can add noise to any shape by using the noise slider on the main colour panel. You show the noise slider by clicking the button shown in the image below. You can also add noise to gradient stops using the same slider when in the gradient tool.

post-4-0-57359400-1412930231_thumb.png

You can also add noise to shadows and glows using the colour button in the actual LayerFx UI as shown below.

post-4-0-41257800-1412930702_thumb.png

Hope that helps.

TonyB.

So,

Maybe a Perlin / simplex noise FX would do what you need? We could think about adding that maybe..

AndyS

Maybe I should give some samples:

http://www.illustrationserved.com/gallery/TAENK-Magazine-illustrations/12108805

https://www.behance.net/gallery/17414833/Lighthouses-of-Southern-Africa

https://www.behance.net/gallery/19974035/Editorial-Illustrations-2014

This is why I don't want to name it noise and prefer to use "grain" or "dust" maybe. Look how different it can be. Small or big, regular or not. You can change color as well. And it can affect shape edge too. Maybe it can go even further and there should be choice "grain" or "halftone".

So I imagine something like new effect and it could be used with vector shapes and raster (think photographic grain). I think this feature can be great for illustrators but photographers or people who need to combine photo with vector graphic.

Point is I think it should be separate from noise (used with color).

FWIW I've been enjoying something similar recently, especially the subtler effect used in Gabriel Silveira's Astronaut

http://www.gabrielsilveira.com/Grasso-e-Bello

http://www.gabrielsilveira.com/Astronauta

http://www.gabrielsilveira.com/Amazing-Sci-Fi-Comics-127

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• Staff

I have requested this some time ago, during the Beta phase and Matt have considered it an useful addition. But with all the requests and excitement during the development and then the launch of the first version it become a little lost. There's a lot being requested, improved or fixed and this was probably delayed a little bit due to all this activity...