You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Option To Copy Settings Etc From Release Version

Hi, in the exe download version of Affinity Photo 2.1.0.1732 on Windows 11, there is still a problem I reported earlier that, under settings, the option to copy settings & content from the release app is still greyed out. I was hoping it would be resolved in the latest update to the beta version.

Image 5.png

Works fine for me, @footeg. Of course, it worked before, too, so that may not be relevant.

I have the unsandboxed version of the V2 apps and of the beta apps on my Win 11 machine.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
4 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I believe Serif said there may be an issue copying them over if your retail and beta versions are a combination of MSIX and MSI installers.

they did indeed  comment but it was because for unsandboxed version we have moved where the shared data is stored (from one location in 2.0.4 to a new location in 2.1 beta), to better support corporate customers. I am seeing if it was investigated and turned into a formal report

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

39 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

but it was because for unsandboxed version we have moved where the shared data is stored (from one location in 2.0.4 to a new location in 2.1 beta), to better support corporate customers. I am seeing if it was investigated and turned into a formal report

I have unsandboxed (EXE) for both 2.0.4 and for 2.1.0.1730 & .1732.

And yes, the Retail preferences are in .Affinity while the Beta preferences are in AppData\Roaming.

But I can copy from Retail to Beta using that Preference function, so I don't think that's the issue.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I too have unsandboxed (EXE) for both 2.0.4 and for 2.1.0.1730 & .1732 but, for me, the option to copy is still greyed out. There is a 2.0(Beta) folder in both .Affinity & AppData/Roaming\Afifinity\Photo. I tried copying the 2.0 folder between the 2 locations but the problem remains.

• Staff
41 minutes ago, footeg said:

I too have unsandboxed (EXE) for both 2.0.4 and for 2.1.0.1730 & .1732 but, for me, the option to copy is still greyed out.

Sorry but between 2.0.4 and 2.1.0 we have moved where the information is stored for the unsandboxed version. Rest assured that future unsandboxed (EXE) betas will pick up the information from the 2.1.0 unsandboxed release version, BUT there is no code in 2.1.0 EXE beta to look in the location Release EXE 2.0.4 is using.

HOWEVER 2.1.0 RELEASE will move the stored information from the previous 2.0.4 RELEASE location.

So unfortunately this is one function where the current Beta EXE does not match the current Beta MSIX, and for the sake of the last few weeks of the 2.1.0 beta we are unlikely to change this, due to the transient nature of the problem (it goes away when the next 2.1.x or 2.2.y beta starts). 

So thanks for your report but this is to be expected, but only for this time around the beta cycle.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

59 minutes ago, footeg said:

I too have unsandboxed (EXE) for both 2.0.4 and for 2.1.0.1730 & .1732 but, for me, the option to copy is still greyed out. There is a 2.0(Beta) folder in both .Affinity & AppData/Roaming\Afifinity\Photo. I tried copying the 2.0 folder between the 2 locations but the problem remains.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry but between 2.0.4 and 2.1.0 we have moved where the information is stored for the unsandboxed version. Rest assured that future unsandboxed (EXE) betas will pick up the information from the 2.1.0 unsandboxed release version, BUT there is no code in 2.1.0 EXE beta to look in the location Release EXE 2.0.4 is using

I think I figured out the difference between @footeg's setup and mine. I previously had the MSIX installs of V2 on my Win 11 system, and I replaced them with MSI versions but I did not delete the V2 MSIX folders from .affinity so they are still there. And that is probably why I get the migration option but @footeg doesn't.

-- Walt
PC:

17 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry but between 2.0.4 and 2.1.0 we have moved where the information is stored for the unsandboxed version. Rest assured that future unsandboxed (EXE) betas will pick up the information from the 2.1.0 unsandboxed release version, BUT there is no code in 2.1.0 EXE beta to look in the location Release EXE 2.0.4 is using.

HOWEVER 2.1.0 RELEASE will move the stored information from the previous 2.0.4 RELEASE location.

So unfortunately this is one function where the current Beta EXE does not match the current Beta MSIX, and for the sake of the last few weeks of the 2.1.0 beta we are unlikely to change this, due to the transient nature of the problem (it goes away when the next 2.1.x or 2.2.y beta starts). 

So thanks for your report but this is to be expected, but only for this time around the beta cycle.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think I figured out the difference between @footeg's setup and mine. I previously had the MSIX installs of V2 on my Win 11 system, and I replaced them with MSI versions but I did not delete the V2 MSIX folders from .affinity so they are still there. And that is probably why I get the migration option but @footeg doesn't.

Thanks to you both. I will wait for the 2.1.0 release version. All looking good with the beta so far.