You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

5000mm Artboard width in Adobe

David

Not really a request or question but maybe a point to put in literature you produce. 

I have just created a 6000mm wall infographic for a client, client request 100% dimensioned vector artwork for in-house printing which was all good in Affinity Designer.

However on export to PDF discovered that Acrobat is incapable of viewing artwork over 5000mm and all PDFs open blank.

I was aware the illustrator and InDesign have maximum artboard dimension of around 5000mm, but had so scale export artwork down for client for PDF proofing.

I was curious about your issue.

I made a simple vector design in a 6000mm x 6000mm document. I did not use artboard tool. Then I exported as PDF for print, and it looks OK. I made an artboard all around same size as the doc, and exported again, no problem it shows the same as the other

I would like to see yours and see the difference why yours appears blank.

6000mm x 6000mm doc.afdesign

PDF 6000mm for print.pdf

6000mm x 6000mm doc w-artboard.afdesign

6000mm x 6000mm doc w-artboard.pdf

• Staff

Not really a request or question but maybe a point to put in literature you produce. 

I have just created a 6000mm wall infographic for a client, client request 100% dimensioned vector artwork for in-house printing which was all good in Affinity Designer.

However on export to PDF discovered that Acrobat is incapable of viewing artwork over 5000mm and all PDFs open blank.

I was aware the illustrator and InDesign have maximum artboard dimension of around 5000mm, but had so scale export artwork down for client for PDF proofing.

Hi David and bogarguz,

Take a look at this:

http://indesignsecrets.com/beware-200-limit-for-pdfs.php

the problem you describe is that the PDF spec only used to support 200 inches as a maximum dimension and most readers are only capable of showing this. Other readers (like the built-in OS X Preview application) are able to preview larger documents, so they may appear to work just fine - but if you send it to someone else, you may find it doesn't work for them - so beware!

Thanks,

Matt