You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How comparable is Photo Resolution Enhancer to Topaz Photo AI?

I have been successfully using Photo to enlarge images, even for poster files and billboard arts. However, a friend recently recommended Topaz AI, claiming it to be superior in quality. Although I do not have Topaz, I am curious if anyone here has used it and can provide insight on whether it is worth the investment. Thank you in advance.

Albertkinng Screenshot - 03-20-2023 3.jpg

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

I have used it on many images successfully. But it's no magic, it works very well for some images but also creates weird artefacts sometimes on some others. On some images, people become extra-terrestrials. There is a demo available to try it and see by yourself.

Note that Topaz Gigapixel AI does not work as a plugin in Photo.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I use Benvista PhotoZoom Classic 8 for enlarging where Affinity won't do it. It is about half the price of Topaz Gigapixel AI (£49 vs £99).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 3/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, John Rostron said:

I use Benvista PhotoZoom Classic 8 for enlarging

I use Super Photo Upscaler. Check it out when you get a chance. Cheap and Powerful! It is a Mac Only app.

Albertkinng Screenshot - 03-20-2023 5.jpg

Edited by albertkinng
System Compatibility Added.

I tried this APhoto feature just once or twice and was not impressed, compared to experiences with Gigapixel AI.

But, in Topaz definitely more than in Affinity, a resulting improvement depends on the image contents (respectively the Topaz AI database). My impression also depends on my individual taste, e.g. a preference for grainy or rather smoothed edges. In Topaz I often noticed that I'd prefer one specific setting for some details of an image while I'd like another setting for other parts of the same image.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I've been using the Topaz products for a while. I like Gigapixel AI to upscale images. Its also cheaper than Photo AI which includes de noise and sharpening. I use Gigapixel for wildlife images where I often crop heavily. Pretty sure there's a free trial so give it a go. There can be artifacts so you need to inspect the image fairly carefully. I have mixed feelings about Photo AI. If I'm just going to post on line I'll use it, but for prints I'll use the separate programs (De Noise and Sharpen).

PS Photo AI is still being developed with weekly releases for bug fixes and new features.

18 hours ago, albertkinng said:

I use Super Photo Upscaler. Check it out when you get a chance. Cheap and Powerful! 

This is for MAC only.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

A while back I tried Gigapixel AI. My impression was that it was best for low res images, as it adds pixels to the enlargement.

Not what I need.

I compared Blow Up, On1, Photo Zoom.

But none were superior to simply using Affinity Photo with one of the Lanczos 3 choices for resampling.

For example, enlarging to 30x40 inches.

It helps to start with a high res image.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

12 minutes ago, TomM1 said:

were superior to simply using Affinity Photo with one of the Lanczos 3 choices for resampling

My situation today. I'm glad I don't need those other apps. I just bought Super Photo Upscaler, so I can drop to the icon and enlarge the picture in a second.