You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Refelctions, seperate FX

Guest northstar

Hello,

I have questions about AP. Maybe you can help me?

1. How to  reflect an object and add a gardient to transparent like this:

http://therenderq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Reflection-Tutorial-FINAL.jpg

2. How do I mirror an object in AP, which is not seen frontally. Just as here:

http://designshack.net/wp-content/uploads/ds-pstricks-27.jpg

3. How do I separate an object from an effect? In Photoshop I can easily seperate an object from the effect and can delete the object, so that the effect will stay and only  objekt delete?

THX, Northstar

Hallo,

ich habe Fragen zu AP. Vielleicht können Sie mir helfen?

1. Wie spiegelt man ganz einfach ein Objekt und fügt einen Verlauf nach transparent ein so wie hier:

http://therenderq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Reflection-Tutorial-FINAL.jpg

2. Wie spiegel ich ein Objekt in AP, welches nicht frontal zu sehen ist. So wie das hier:

http://designshack.net/wp-content/uploads/ds-pstricks-27.jpg

3. Wie trenne ich ein Objekt von einem Effekt? In Photoshop kann ich ganz einfach einem Objekt einen Effekt zuweisen und dann das Objekt vom Effekt trennen. Der Effekt (zb. ein Schatten) bleibt erhalten, wenn ich das Objekt lösche. Das fand ich praktisch, wie geht das mit AP?

Danke für die Hilfe,

Northstar

• Staff

Hi northstar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. You have to duplicate the object, flip it (menu Arrange ▸ Flip Vertical) then apply a gradient mask to the flipped duplicate.

2. The process is the same but you have to do it twice. One for each (geometric) plane that compose the image, then adjust/edit (skew) the "edges" of the two reflected parts carefully to ensure a seamless match.

3. There's no way to separate an object from the effect like in Photoshop.

Guest northstar

Hello,

thank you very much for answering but I am not a pro user :)

1. gradient ok - but how to make gradient to transparency?

2. Cannot understand what you mean :( Do not know the process you talk about.

3. Ok, how to make an effect like this one in attachement black shadow with transparent (not white). I can make a gardient from white to black but how to make it from black to transparent?

4. One more question:

Where to finde a polygon lasso?

http://www.photoshop-cafe.de/phoenix/tutorial/lg1/bild1.gif

5. One more question:

When I add a gradient from one to another coloar to an objekt the whole docoment gets the effect.

How to make effect only on the objekt I had clicked?

Sorry for much questions, but want to know how to use affinity, because leaving photoshop is not so easy.

Hi northstar,

let me just quickly address some of your questions. What regards the motorbike example, would have to create a vector rectangle or a rectangular pixel selection on a new layer, apply a black to white gradient fill, select this layer, choose Layer > Rasterise to Mask, and drag your new mask layer in the layers list directly onto the thumbnail of your flipped motorbike layer. Doing so will nest the mask to the respective layer (it should look like below).

You can set gradient nodes transparent by using the Opacity Slider on the gradient fly-out (see below). In order to apply a gradient to some part of an image you will have to create a pixel selection and apply the gradient to that selection. But you can also apply your gradient to a vector object that covers part of your image.

A neat trick for achieving polygonal selections is to create a (closed) vector path with the Pen Tool and click Selection on the context toolbar of this tool. This will convert your path to a pixel selection (see below). Please note that the path gets lost by doing so. You might want to duplicate it before clicking Selection.

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-20193400-1456232631_thumb.png

post-1198-0-18880700-1456232927_thumb.png

post-1198-0-58037100-1456233259_thumb.png

Guest northstar

Hello,

thank you evtonic3. I use Affinity Photo not Photoshop. But I know the way is the same :). Cannot find the tools are used in Affinity. And thats no Problem. I see that it is a lot of work for every picture and that makes no sense if you have to reflect 40-60 pictures. Will make new photos thats not so much work.

Thanks a lot for informations helps great :)

:)

Hello,

thank you evtonic3. I use Affinity Photo not Photoshop. But I know the way is the same :). Cannot find the tools are used in Affinity. And thats no Problem. I see that it is a lot of work for every picture and that makes no sense if you have to reflect 40-60 pictures. Will make new photos thats not so much work.

Thanks a lot for informations helps great :)

:)

Good luck.

This is one of the hardest effect to pull off if you ask me, I don't wanna be you at all.

Guest northstar

Good luck.

This is one of the hardest effect to pull off if you ask me, I don't wanna be you at all.

Yes I think it is better I make new photos. Thanks for helping.