You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD has a convenient keystroke to create a new layer but once the layer appears I must click another time to name the layer. It would be very helpful and a time-saver if the new layer would come up with the label name area already selected (open), ready to type. It would seem to me that anyone creating a new layer would automatically want to name it. Naming and managing layers in AD is just a joy compared to Illustrator CC (which often crashes in the layer-naming process with my large files), and the above AD addition would be make it even better.

"It would seem to me that anyone creating a new layer would automatically want to name it."

Not always true, but regardless of that it would be nice to have that option available.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 9 months later...

I've had a problem naming layers with both Affinity Photo (including 1.5) and Designer. I'll double-click on the layer and start to type the name, then, after the first 1 to 3 letters are entered, it locks out the following letters (i.e. I type "masking layer", and the layer name shows as "mas"). When I re-click, I can sometimes enter the full name, but usually get locked out again after a couple of letters, or sometimes it only accepts the last letters entered. After several tries, with different typing speeds, I can usually get the full name entered. 

I cannot figure out what is causing this, or find a correlation with typing speed. There seems to be some correlation with the amount of time I wait before starting typing, but I can't trigger the behavior on demand. Sometimes it works fine, other times it will take 5 or more tries to get the name entered. In one testing session, I was able to trigger the problem every time by hitting two keys at the same time, then the next key strike would close out the field. I thought this was the problem, but after 7 or 8 instances, it started working fine again. 

Anyone else having this problem? I would think if this were happening to everyone, there would be a lot of reports as it's quite frustrating. 

Mid-2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3