You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dodge and burn using layers and paint brush tool instead of dodge and burn tool

alecspra

Maybe this is not news, but I found out that instead of dodging and burning directly on the background layer, you can create a new pixel layer and use the paint brush (white or black) with varying degrees of opacity to dodge or burn (instead of using the dodge and burn tool). This way, the changes can be easily reversed or cancelled. Unfortunately, no amount of burning seems to make any difference on clipped highlights. I assume because there is no information whatsoever. Is the only solution to darken clipped highlights, to recolor them??

Yes, you are right. Blown highlights basically mean's their absolutely no data there and results in pure white. So you have recolor refabricate the information that not there.

Yes, you are right. Blown highlights basically mean's their absolutely no data there and results in pure white. So you have to recolor/refabricate the information that is not there.

Ronnie,

This sounds like a very good idea for a short tutorial for you to create and share with the forum!

Cough, cough; hint, hint...

Dodging and Burning in Affinity Photo - with bonus tips on how to recover/replace lost highlight information - mixedmediasalad

There, I've even helpfully made the title for you.  :rolleyes:

Ronnie,

This sounds like a very good idea for a short tutorial for you to create and share with the forum!

Cough, cough; hint, hint...

Dodging and Burning in Affinity Photo - with bonus tips on how to recover/replace lost highlight information - mixedmediasalad

There, I've even helpfully made the title for you.  :rolleyes:

HaHa! I hear you.... ;)