You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer v2 - crashpad_handler.exe & COM Surrogate in Task Manager

Hi all,

I'm getting the above showing up constantly in Windows Task Manager for Designer, and crashpad_handler.exe showing up for Photo & Publisher (v2), this happens on opening and even without having any files open. I've no idea how to get rid of this or if it's OK to ignore - can anyone help?

I've mostly been working in Designer recently, which seems to be fine for the most part and although it's been hanging on occasion, it resumes after a few seconds with no error messages and no shutdown. The other thing it's been doing (even without hanging beforehand), is that it'll suddenly stop showing overlays within instances of a symbol, ie the overlay (which is just a coloured pixel layer over an image) will show on one symbol, but disappears from the 2 other instances of the same symbol on different artboards. I can see the layers if I click into the instance, I can even see that they have colour, but the layer(s) isn't showing on the artboard.

At first I thought maybe the file had become corrupt, as it's file size increased from around 40MB to 59MB for no reason, so I recreated it from scratch, but it's happening on this version too. There's nothing particularly complex going on in the file and no extreme memory or CPU usage showing in Task Manager, but clearly something is amiss... [ I'm on Windows 10, Intel i7, 16GB Ram & plenty of available space - it's old but I've never had any issues with Affinity v1 or v2 until now ]

I have searched the forum for crashpad_handler, but haven't found anything that seems to relate to my situation. I've also tried 'Repair' in the Apps Advanced Options, and before I try reinstalling (or anything else), I thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions or experienced anything similar.

Many thanks in advance!

The crashpad_handler is supposed to be there, and was also present in V1.

I don't know about the other one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, Meanderling said:

Still, there's the issue with the missing layers and nothing in ...\User\.affinity\Designer\2.0\CrashReports\reports. I have no idea what the problem is - any recommendations?

I would suggest posting that separately, with an appropriate subject line for the issue. As you are not getting crashes, and crashpad_handler isn't relevant, you'll probably get more attention to your actual question that way.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Excellent point!

Because it had 'hung', bloated the file and lost visibility of layers within symbols, I assumed it had crashed and corrupted the file in someway - seeing crashpad_handler seemed to support my suspicion, but if you think that's not the case, I'll shuffle along and see what else I can rustle up :)

Thanks for stepping in!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: