You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2 file can no longer be opened

Hello support,

I have been working on an invitation card for some time and now the .afpub file will no longer open with Affinity Publisher 2. I have tried renaming the file and reinstalling the affinity publisher 2. Nothing has worked for me. What else can I do? I am currently working on an Apple Mac Book under MacOS Big Sur. Do I need to update to the latest version?

Thanks for the help.

1598996765_MASTERKlassentreffenHeidensteil.afpub

Hi @Jammypixels and welcome to the forums...

There is a bug that has been identified causing similar issues for a few people which I believe may be fixed in the next retail version but in the meantime could you upload the linked pdf file Block_DIN_A5_karo.pdf as I think that may be the cause of the issue you're experiencing.

I should hopefully then be able to repair your Publisher file for you...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Hi @Jammypixels,

Thanks for the file...

I've replaced the pdf with a new version using the suffix 'Neu'. On an unrelated note, there is something odd going on with the transparency of your dog image which is causing a screen redraw issue in Publisher when zooming in or out but the invite artwork exports without issue to pdf...

I've attached a new version of your Publisher document which can be opened in 2.0.4 with the new pdf embedded (rather than linked) so you can edit if required...

Let me know how you get on with the file and whether you experience any further issues while working with it...

1598996765_MASTERKlassentreffenHeidensteil (Repariert).afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Hi @Jammypixels,

That's really great to hear, hopefully the file will behave itself now and you'll have no more issues with it, but if anything else does cause a problem please just let us know... :)

Hi @hamish99 and welcome to the forums…

Which version of Publisher are you using, 1.10.6 or 2.0.4…

Are you able to upload your Publisher document together with any linked files so we can take a look to see what might be causing the problem.

If there are lots of linked files then if you can zip everything together and then upload the .zip file that would be perfect.

Hi @hamish99

The problematic file is Learn NSF Day 2 V8.0 - 2023 (2 Slides to a Page).pdf but the good news is I can open your Publisher file and I should be able to rebuild it for you though it's going to take some time. owing to the number of pages..

There are six files I'm missing that didn't appear in the ZIP files... would you be able to upload the following files...

1. Return To The Top To Recycle The Lot.png
  2. Filtration Is A Must Know.png
  3. Careful Where The Animals Go.png
  4. Let All Plants Grow.png
  5. Slow The Flow.png
  6. Tarwyn Park Training Logo - Colour.ai

I'm assuming when you've been adding the various pages from your pdf files, you've been using File > Place to do so? We're trying to establish the cause of this particular bug and are asking people if there is any particular way they've added files to their document, e.g., by placing it or copy/pasting it or simply by dragging the file to the document, so any information you can provide around that would be extremely helpful in trying to track down what is causing this particular issue.

I'm about to head out to meet some friends for a much needed walk but I'll be able to work on your file later today if that's okay and I should be able to provide you with a working 2.0.4 Publisher file...

Hi @Hangman

That's great! Thank you so much for doing this. 

I've uploaded those missing files for you. 

And yes I've been using the File > Place method of adding in the original file (say Day 2 PDF for example), then just copying and pasting it internally for the additional pages that need to be added from the same Day 2 PDF. 

Affinity Forum Missing Files.zip

Hi @hamish99

That's perfect, thanks for the additional files and for confirming the method used for adding your PDF files to your document, that's really helpful, thank you...

Okay, leave it with me and I'll come back to you if I have any questions or once I hopefully, have a useable file for you... :)

Hi @hamish99

Finally back from what turned out to be a 20 mile hike and now taking a look at your file... I've just noticed that there are two versions of the png logo's

• Return To The Top To Recycle The Lot.png
  • Filtration Is A Must Know.png
  • Careful Where The Animals Go.png
  • Let All Plants Grow.png
  • Slow The Flow.png

The one's you uploaded earler are the green versions with no background but there's a second version of each which appear on coloured circles used on the front cover, would you be able to upload those as well... :)

Hi @hamish99

That's perfect, many thanks... :)

Hi @hamish99

Sorry to disturb again...

I'm in the process of replacing the problematic file is Learn NSF Day 2 V8.0 - 2023 (2 Slides to a Page).pdf and I've noticed that on the version you kindly uploaded, the green title boxes on Pages 8 and 15 are missing/corrupt, on Page 8 it appears as a grey rectangle with a tiny globe in the centre and on Page 15 it just appears as a black rectangle.

When you have a moment, would you be able to revisit the source file to check those two pages and then re-export the file as a new pdf and upload it... I don't think that is necessarily the cause of the initial issue but it does indicate there is something not quite right with that particular exported pdf.

Many thanks... :)

Hi @Hangman 

I don't think they would be the issue. The reason they look different is that they are slides with a video in them, so the book is just showing the cover image of that video rather than a slide like the rest of the pages. 

If you do think they are causing an issue I can adjust the file and re export as a PDF. 

Hi @hamish99

Ah, okay, I'd just assumed they were incorrect as they didn't follow the appearance other slides but if that is how they are supposed to look then that's absolutely fine...

This is how those two particular pages appear just for reference so if this is correct then no need to adjust and re export...

1383275409_PDFSlides.thumb.jpg.6a731d8e1dc0f9334b64337f10671c49.jpg

Perfect, thanks for confirming...

Hi @hamish99

Attached is the rebuilt file which you should now be able to open in 2.0.4...

If you save the .zip file to a completely new folder and expand it you should see the following files and folders... Note: please don't save the Publisher file and re link your original graphic files...

Once the rebuilt Publisher file is opened, in theory, everything should be linked automatically but if not then please re link to the graphics contained in the .zip file rather than the graphics in your original folders.

File

• Learn Natural Sequence Farming Training Book V4 (Rebuilt).afpub

Folders

• Assets
  • Circle Logo
  • Logos
  • PDFs

Out of interest, did the file stop working for you as you were completeing the Resources section? I ask only because it looks as though that particular section isn't complete... The following may be intentional but I just wanted to highlight a number of things in the rebuilt file just in case, but obviously ignore anything that isn't relevant...

1. The References on Page 271 stop at No. 52 despite there being additional references.

2. Pages 255 and 256 are blank.

3. Pages 273 - 276 are blank.

4. Page 277 - the text links to a text frame on Page 279 but Page 279 is the Tools For The Toolbox Cover page, so it looks as though the linked page is incorrect. In the rebuilt file I've linked Page 277 to Page 278 instead, however the flowed text then includes a list of video resources which don't fit the available space... I've left those in but assume maybe the video resources weren't intented to be included? Either way, you will need to take a look at Pages 277 - 279 and adjust accordingly.

5. Page 283 is blank.

6. In the document you uploaded there are a number of pages where the copyright notice doesn't appear at the bottom of the page which may be intentional though in some cases they seem possibly a little random (I could be wrong) but because the copyright notices appear when applying the relevant master pages I've left them in on all pages with the rebuilt file so again you will need to go through and check these and remove where and if appropriate.

7. On the Do's and Don'ts Pages for some reason there is a space between the 'n' and the apostrophe in Don'ts so I've removed these. Gramatically (and please correct me if I'm wrong), while Do's and Don'ts looks visually more pleasing I believe this is supposed to be written as Dos and Don'ts.

General

There is one odd thing I noticed when rebuilding your file which I've not seen before... the first page of each placed RGB pdf isn't showing the colour correctly (for me at least) but all subsequent pages are. This appears to be a screen redraw issue as it doesn't affect any pdf export where the colours are shown correctly but I'd be interested to know whether you are seeing the same thing.

I hope the above is helpful and do let us know whether you are now able to open the file again in 2.0.4 to continue working on it without issue and please give the file a thorough proof. I've checked everything and as far as I can tell the rebuilt file matches your original (bar some of the items mentioned above) but it's entirely possible I've missed something.

Finally, do you happen to recall what you were doing with the file just before you could no longer open it?

Learn Natural Sequence Farming Training Book V4 (Rebuilt).zip

Hi @hamish99

I've literally just uploaded a rebuilt version for you (see the post above this one)...

Let us know how you get on... :)