You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorials Difficult to Follow

On 11/19/2017 at 7:13 AM, drippy cat said:

I've done a 90+ page downloadable guide to what I hope are the basics here - https://theeagerlearner.com/ and I made 3 tutorials on YouTube for people just starting out. The first one is here - 

The PDF is great, I have it printed out to work through. The youtube videos are good also, but Simon's Affinity Photo Foundations course on Udemy is excellent. He sometimes gets a little over my (beginner's) head but you can ask questions and he answers them soon. His added PDF on the layers section was clear and geared toward a total beginner like me. The class often on sale but its worth many times the full price. I'm kind of a slow learner and find I need all the resources available for Affinity Photo to make it click and stick.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:30 PM, jniiiice said:

I posted this and still haven't heard back from anyone ... not really great support going on here ... I was told on twitter just post up on here and i would have an answer or direction within a couple of hours 

People replied but at the end of the thread turns out you were looking for something specific which you didn't mention in your first post, which is tutorials for iPad. I don't use an iPad (despite I have one) therefore I can't help.

That said, whoever told you you would get an answer in within two hours was either making fun of you or didn't know what he/she was taking about. You just need to have some patience, the team is small and they do what they can. The other participants to the forum are people who try to help in their spare time. 

Lastly, I'm sure there are a lot of tutorials for the iPad already, maybe not one "start to finish", but if you follow them you'll be able to grasp the basics and maybe you could prep a start to finish yourself to help the community? ;)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

On 11/28/2017 at 1:39 PM, verysame said:

People replied but at the end of the thread turns out you were looking for something specific which you didn't mention in your first post, which is tutorials for iPad. I don't use an iPad (despite I have one) therefore I can't help.

That said, whoever told you you would get an answer in within two hours was either making fun of you or didn't know what he/she was taking about. You just need to have some patience, the team is small and they do what they can. The other participants to the forum are people who try to help in their spare time. 

Lastly, I'm sure there are a lot of tutorials for the iPad already, maybe not one "start to finish", but if you follow them you'll be able to grasp the basics and maybe you could prep a start to finish yourself to help the community? ;)

The 2 hour time frame came from the Affinity social media account on twitter ... I sure as hell hope they are making fun of the customers ... If you read the first post you will see I clearly mentioned the iPad ... I have plenty of patience but like i said when your given a time frame from the company and it comes and goes without a single response it get a little frustrating . Affinity is in a unique situation to dominate this industry given that they are currently not a subscription based platform ... I would love to see them succeed at making adobe eat there lunch. Regardless, yes there are individual tutorials but allot of wholes to fill for a new user such as myself. I apologize I didn't know they where such a small team. I do enjoy the parts of the community trying to help though... Yup I am coming up with something through trial and error but it is a very slow going right now 

38 minutes ago, jniiiice said:

The 2 hour time frame came from the Affinity social media account on twitter ... I sure as hell hope they are making fun of the customers ... If you read the first post you will see I clearly mentioned the iPad ... I have plenty of patience but like i said when your given a time frame from the company and it comes and goes without a single response it get a little frustrating . Affinity is in a unique situation to dominate this industry given that they are currently not a subscription based platform ... I would love to see them succeed at making adobe eat there lunch. Regardless, yes there are individual tutorials but allot of wholes to fill for a new user such as myself. I apologize I didn't know they where such a small team. I do enjoy the parts of the community trying to help though... Yup I am coming up with something through trial and error but it is a very slow going right now 

Well, it sure sounds odd that 2-hour thing, if only because this forum has become particularly active and keeping up with everyone is not easy.

I don't follow the iPad scene at all, so I might be completely wrong but my guess is that if there isn't a tutorial like the one you are looking for is simply because no one did it. After all, Affinity for iPad is the youngest in the family.

That said, I think many times when beginners struggle with the software is also because they are approaching a new software and a new world as well, which is the photo retouching. So, I understand it can get frustrating, but really, several times it's seriously a matter of taking the bull by the horns. There are no shortcuts. Concepts and theory need to be studied. And people today should consider themselves lucky, there are so many resources (and most of them free!). When I started back in '95 (oh man!) all I could get in my little town was a Photoshop book: no forums, blogs, tutorials (what did you say? video tutorials? ^_^) to figure things out. The book was in English (not my native language) and that was it. Well, I don't regret those moments, not one bit. Don't get me wrong, tutorials are great, and the guys from Serif are killing it (their tutorials are just great, period). But with a tutorial, the risk is to repeat the formula over and over, and above all, you miss the opportunity to discover things, to get lost and find new paths which otherwise you wouldn't travel (at least, not soon). And, most important, to create a map in your mind of what you are dealing with, something that goes beyond the "press this button", because you are elaborating a paradigm of how things works and, at that point, you become more fluent in other software as well.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• 1 month later...

Videos don't really work for me. For one thing they are in English, usually spoken without much attention to users to whom English is a second language. For another, they depend on a fast internet connection (when I play the vimeo-videos I get a lag of many seconds for the video part, while the voice or music part is happily out of sync and way ahead). And lastly, they do not make allowances for problems with one's sight (e.g. poor near vision). Not everyone who wishes to use Affinity Photo is a native speaker, lives in a metropole and has a 20:20 vision.

So, are there any means for someone who prefers the written word and who is still test-driving Affinity, to get at a comprehensive tutorial or guide?

For instance, after decades of using Photoshop, I already failed at pasting a large photo into a smaller canvas and adjusting it there. In Photoshop this creates a new layer and you can then (before any first save) push the pasted content around until it fits where and how you want it. Not so in Affinity, which - if this is the actual state of things - means this adds many levels of prior work to pasting a photo into a canvas/level. That alone would be a deterrent for me, because it would gravely disrupt my workflow.

I'm very interested in Affinity, because I am looking for an alternative to the current subscription model of Photoshop, so a good tutorial to clear up such questions would be much appreciated.

I prefer not to watch videos when I am only trying to figure out how to do a simple task that I know how to do in other software, and more often than not, the videos simply don't answer my question — and I am rarely in the mood to watch a 10-minute + video that may not even answer my simple question.